Wow, winter prep actually helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a complete detailing noob and this was my first time doing a "winter prep" on my cars. It wasn't anything crazy - just washing, waxing and applying headlight sealant on all the outside lights to minimize road grime collection. We had a few snowfalls and I've got to say, the prep actually helped!

Very little road salt/grime stuck to the cars, especially on the bottom parts of the doors where it loves to cake on. I also waxed the side and rear windows, and this seemed to help the snow clean off easier in the morning with my snow brush. The headlights are still clear, whereas before, I'd have to wipe them down a few times in the days following a storm. The rain cleaned off the little grime that was on the cars and they look great again! It's also cool seeing rainwater bead up and off the paint.

Definitely a fan of winter detailing
smile.gif

Last edited:
It definitely helps with cleaning and with the long term condition of a car. It's a habit I started way back when.

I had some leftover sealant from a Rainx restoration kit I bought a few years back.

It's similar to Blue Magic sealant.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I always do the stainless steel exhaust tips too if applicable and wax the taillights.

and here I thought I was the only one that waxes the taillights! I don't feel so odd anymore!

Well done! Given the amount of road salt and liquid deicers used in many parts of the nation, a good coat of wax definitely helps protect your clear coat plus the benefits you mentioned!

Originally Posted by mclasser
I also waxed the side and rear windows, and this seemed to help the snow clean off easier in the morning with my snow brush.

Is there a reason to avoid waxing the windshield? I always apply spray wax to the entire car, including all lights and windows, after every wash. And liquid wax (sealer) on everything twice a year. I haven't noticed any haze or other problems but please advise if wax should not be applied to windshield!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RyanY
I also waxed the side and rear windows, and this seemed to help the snow clean off easier in the morning with my snow brush.

Is there a reason to avoid waxing the windshield? I always apply spray wax to the entire car, including all lights and windows, after every wash. And liquid wax (sealer) on everything twice a year. I haven't noticed any haze or other problems but please advise if wax should not be applied to windshield!

I've heard waxing the windshield can cause wiper blade chatter. I use Rain-X orange washer fluid and it does a great job beading water off the windshield so I've never had a need to use wax there.

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I always do the stainless steel exhaust tips too if applicable and wax the taillights.

and here I thought I was the only one that waxes the taillights! I don't feel so odd anymore!

Odd! i wax the whole car when i wax, headlights, taillights, windows nothing odd about it.
11.gif

Originally Posted by RyanY

The only problem with waxing the windshield is at the dragstrip when you use the liquid white shoe polish it has a tendency to run down the windshield and side windows! I would keep waxing the windows but it is something I noticed. It's hard to believe it reacts in such a way but honestly it does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back