Odd Video Card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

I was tasked with fixing my wife's grandmother's computer. I dug into it and found that it's a pretty decently robust system for the facebook games and such that she usually uses it for.

It's equipped with an AMD Radeon HD7450 and no onboard video at all.

With that being said it came to me with a no boot condition, no beeps, no nothing, just powered on and fans and lights came on and that's it. I did some poking around and found that the PSU was outputting 2v higher on all outputs than it was specified to, so I replaced that and found the problem still existed. At this point I was thinking maybe the video card was bad so I pulled out out expecting a beep code but instead noticed that the keyboard lights and hard drive activity lights were actually lighting now.

After a little more fiddling around I found that the computer works perfectly fine as long as the video card isn't 'tight', meaning I don't tighten down the clamp that holds the expansion cards in place.

Any ideas on where I can look to find the root of the problem? Or should I just leave the clamp loose and hope for the best?

First take out the graphics card and vacuum the motherboard and graphics card.Reset card and try the computer. If this doesn't work press down on the motherboard where the graphics card plugs in. Turn on the computer, if it does not turn on then it is the motherboard and maybe reflow the motherboard. If it works try the same thing but press on the graphics card where the hold down screw is. if this causes the problem then reflow the graphics card.

It's either not seated properly or I would look at trying another power supply. Could be that it's not able to handle the load from the video card.

Last edited:
When you tighten down the card, check to see if the rear of the card is lifting out of the slot. That may be your issue. If there is more than one PCI-E slot, you could try it and see if you can seat it fully in another slot, properly tightened down.

Move it to another slot: if the problem goes away, then it was probably the motherboard and specifically that slot. If the problem remains, its most likely the video card itself.

Will it boot with no video card installed? You should at least hear some beeps and HD lights should flashing. I not the MB might be toast.

Originally Posted by irad
First take out the graphics card and vacuum the motherboard and graphics card.Reset card and try the computer. If this doesn't work press down on the motherboard where the graphics card plugs in. Turn on the computer, if it does not turn on then it is the motherboard and maybe reflow the motherboard. If it works try the same thing but press on the graphics card where the hold down screw is. if this causes the problem then reflow the graphics card.

when tightening down you are basically flexing the whole board and affecting a faulty solder joint.. You are just shooting in the dark. Most people cannot resolder a multi layered mobo. Either leave the card loose or replace the motherboard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
It's either not seated properly or I would look at trying another power supply. Could be that it's not able to handle the load from the video card.

I'm doubting that it's a load issue as this PC was bone stock (as equipped) when I tore into it and it had a 300w PSU and I replaced that with a 400w.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Move it to another slot: if the problem goes away, then it was probably the motherboard and specifically that slot. If the problem remains, its most likely the video card itself.

I only have one PCIe slot that's the correct size.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
When you tighten down the card, check to see if the rear of the card is lifting out of the slot. That may be your issue. If there is more than one PCI-E slot, you could try it and see if you can seat it fully in another slot, properly tightened down.

I will look more into this. I had seen that sort of issue before but this PCIe slot has a 'latch' at the back that I assumed kept everything in place.

Originally Posted by NO2
Will it boot with no video card installed? You should at least hear some beeps and HD lights should flashing. I not the MB might be toast.

I should have been more clear, the MB seems fine, at least as long as the video card isn't tightened all the way down. Still oddly don't hear any beeps when it loads up all the way through the POST screen and into the OS.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata

I will look more into this. I had seen that sort of issue before but this PCIe slot has a 'latch' at the back that I assumed kept everything in place.

They do, but it is quite possible for you to be not engaging the latch, particularly if things aren't fitting well.

Another thing that you can try, if the card does seem to be seating properly, is loosening the two screws that affix it to the back plate a touch and then tighten down the backplate. See if it boots. If so, shut it back off then tighten those screws. There's usually a bit of wiggle room with those screw holes to allow some manipulation of the orientation of the backplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back