New vid from Project Farm - MotorKote. I'm sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by edhackett

You won't see anything happen under those conditions. The problem with the chlorinated additives is when they enter the combustion chamber. The chlorine is released when the additive burns and combines with H to form HCl, which is a corrosive gas. HCL dissolves in water forming hydrochloric acid.

Ed

Could one not add heat to the proposed test to try and create that effect?

No, you would need to reproduce the heat, pressure, and chemical soup found inside the combustion chamber.

Ed

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

You won't see anything happen under those conditions. The problem with the chlorinated additives is when they enter the combustion chamber. The chlorine is released when the additive burns and combines with H to form HCl, which is a corrosive gas. HCL dissolves in water forming hydrochloric acid.

Ed

Could one not add heat to the proposed test to try and create that effect?

No, you would need to reproduce the heat, pressure, and chemical soup found inside the combustion chamber.

Ed

Ignoring the chemical soup for a second, what about a pressure cooker scenario? I'm struggling to come up with some way we can somewhat replicate these conditions where we can recreate the corrosion situation and thus provide some much needed perspective to the danger of using chlorinated additives.

OVERKILL Ignoring the chemical soup for a second said:
I would not try this at home since you would need repetitive flame temperatures of 4,350F, a pressure vessel capable of > = 200 psi, and the vessel would have to attain a constant temperature of ~ 500F.

I have a extra lawn mower engine i am going to have to setup an experiment. I am really curious to see what the results will outcome. I will also do a oil analysis after a set amount of hours. I may even try some E85 in the mix.

I have been using this (along with other additives) in my beater car....just for something to do. Typically find them on clearance as I did with this product@WalMart. Can't say if it has helped or hurt anything.

They are activated at high loads and by the high contact temperatures that are created. They are typically used in gear oils and give those oils that unique, strong sulphur smell.

That would explain why MotorKote smells oddly like gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back