Hyundai's 1.4 Turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

In 2011 I purchased a brand new Chevy Cruze with the 1.4T and while I ended up dumping it in 2014 because of coolant loss/odor issues...it did have sufficient power.
I now see that VW and Hyundai also have 1.4T's. I've seen some reviews on the VW 1.4T but very little on Hyundai's Eco Elantra 1.4T Kappa engine. Does anybody have one? How is this Elantra Eco?

I have a friend who has had a few of the Chevy (Opal) 1.4 and 1.5 Turbo engines - usually in an Equinox. he drives 30-40k annually for work. one of them went south around 90k. I would trust the Hyundai. I just bought a VW 1.4, but at three days old I cannot provide any history.

With the Hyundai Eco they are rare. When I purchased my 2017 Elantra they had 204 at my dealership. No Eco. Did see one Eco for sale at another dealership.

Originally Posted by pbm

I now see that VW and Hyundai also have 1.4T's. I've seen some reviews on the VW 1.4T but very little on Hyundai's Eco Elantra 1.4T Kappa engine.

As far as I know....VWs 1.4T is the thing of the past.....because of too many troubles VW updated that engine with 1.5T
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tomcat27
I have a friend who has had a few of the Chevy (Opal) 1.4 and 1.5 Turbo engines - usually in an Equinox. he drives 30-40k annually for work. one of them went south around 90k. I would trust the Hyundai. I just bought a VW 1.4, but at three days old I cannot provide any history.

The Opel designed 1.4T worked well in the Cruze (except for the constatnt sickening coolant odor) power wise but I'm skeptical of these small turbos pulling an Equinox or Escape...just me....I do like the idea of a 1.4T Elantra getting 40 MPG....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back