Valvoline 5w40 MST vs Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30 - Passat VR6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gang,

I am looking hard at these two oils for my new Passat GT with the VR6. Like any good Bitoger I have been reading and researching. But VW has made oil choice somewhat confusing, let me explain.

Basically the manual goes on and on about how my vehicle is filled with 0w30 at the factory and I should use 0w30 oil. Failure to do so could result in reduced fuel economy and premature emissions systems failures. The manual immediately follows that diatribe with a good beating about the head and shoulders to use VW 502 only for my VR6. Not more than 1/2 quart of 5w40 is to be added except when no other is available (even if it is VW 502). Really? The manual then grudgingly concedes I may use VW 504 oil if necessary. If you actually read the manual, it seems clear the VW preference is a VW 502 0w30. Hmmm....

The sticker under the hood is marked "502 , 504". I take from all this I may use either spec regardless of grade and stay in warranty, not sure about the bi-polar tendencies exhibited in the manual. In fact, the more I dig, the more I believe the factory fill on this engine is actually a VW 504 0w30. So much for the VW 502 emphasis that was so important.

So if one gets to looking, the only VW 502 in the supposedly preferred 0w30 is the now unobtanium Castrol 0w30, as least that I can find. VW 502s abound but they are mostly 0w40 and 5w40. To further complicate matters this is my first "new" engine in decades, it is also my first DI engine and I want to keep it clean. I want no LSPI issues. I don't think I will be doing 10k OCI's either, I will start at 5k and see if I can fudge a bit more than that but that is it. This thing is gonna get babied for a while.

I bought Valvoline MST 5w40 on sale already, it is mid saps but meets VW 502 and also BMW LL-04. By all accounts this is very good oil. Now I have available a slight discount on the 0w30 I did find, it's Pennzoil Euro LX. It is low saps and meets VW 504 (which is a far more stringent spec than 502 by the way) as well as MB 229.51 and 229.52.

Which of those two do you think is the best choice? I am pretty sure they are both fabulous oils but will one have an advantage in my application? For this car oil price is of little consideration (although I draw the line at 14 buck a quart boutique oils). I am most concerned about killing any chance of LSPI. I imagine the Pennzoil has a slight edge in fuel economy, the HTHS and kinematic viscosity are a hair lighter.

The only fuel I use in the vehicle is Shell V-Power Nitro Plus Premium, so I don't expect fuel will be an issue with the mid saps or low saps oil. I can use the MST in several of my other vehicles if I choose so no concern there.

Your thoughts???

Pic of car in question required:

[Linked Image]

I wonder what they would sell you at the parts desk at the dealer? If you had it changed at the dealership I would assume they would just put bulk 5W40 or something like that.

Use the right oil for the right application. I believe your LX oil is meant for diesel engines but will also work on gasoline engines. You are better off using an oil meant for gas engines in a gas engine. In a pinch, you could use a diesel oil, but it's not ideal. MB 229.5 is a gas oil spec, MB 229.51 and 229.52 are diesel oil specs. 229.52 is not automatically better than 229.5, they're just different specs. 229.5 is still the top spec for gas engines on Mercedes.

Beautiful car!!! I just bought a VW last Friday - in addition to the confusion that you have encountered, VW included a full page brochure in my owner's packet recommending Castrol Edge Professional. available, of course, at the dealership.

Nice car. I'd go for the Pennzoil Euro LX. It says on the back of the bottle: Good for diesel and gasoline engines.

1024DFF1-4664-4DCA-9752-EF929CAE62C0.jpeg

A0F91731-A24E-448E-92E2-CD7B1B1E2409.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd speculate the FF is VW504, which is only available in xW30 and none of which is xW40.
Therefore, Pennzoil Euro LX IS the oil.
Having said that a VW 502 in C3 (505.01) of which MST 5W40 is one , would be preferred to an A3B4 (VW 505.00)

To me 502 / 505 is the older VW spec., the newer VW cars should require 504 (petrol) / 507 (diesel) which is a much tougher spec.

I would look for an oil that carries 504 00 / 507 00, and as many of these others as you can get: MB 229.51, BMW LL-04 and Porsche C30.

My vote is for the Pennzoil Euro LX 0W30, the Valvoline would work fine too and is a good oil, but I think the Pennzoil Euro LX is what I would use.

lest your facing -10F morning starts I'd at least try a few 5/40 runs...listen calculate make a decision.

I don't know a thing about Ravenol thanks for the link. Anyone know the additive pack? I see it's full saps and with a TBN over 10 guessing it is high in calcium also, so curious. If I was going to go full saps I think I'd probably just opt for Castrol 0w40, one of my favorites anyway.

I admit I was leaning a bit towards the Pennzoil but the majority of responses here are the same as well, appreciate the input.

The vehicle sits in a heated garage I could run a 10w30 if I wanted to no issues.

Whatever I use a UOA is going to be required, if I go low or mid saps I want to know exactly where the ceiling is. I am guessing with the Shell Premium 5k will be easy and 7.5k maybe reasonable but I won't know till I see it on paper.

I'm sure the Ravenol SSO has a traditional additive pack. 1200 ppm of ZDDP, lots of CA, some Moly and Boron.

What stands out are the extremely low pour point (-60) and low NOACK of 7.7%. There are some premium base oils used in this product.

Since it's about the same price as the PP LX it seems like a better product. If this engine is really a port injected FSI as posted then this oil will work well in your application.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I don't know a thing about Ravenol thanks for the link. Anyone know the additive pack? I see it's full saps and with a TBN over 10 guessing it is high in calcium also, so curious. If I was going to go full saps I think I'd probably just opt for Castrol 0w40, one of my favorites anyway.

I admit I was leaning a bit towards the Pennzoil but the majority of responses here are the same as well, appreciate the input.

The vehicle sits in a heated garage I could run a 10w30 if I wanted to no issues.

Whatever I use a UOA is going to be required, if I go low or mid saps I want to know exactly where the ceiling is. I am guessing with the Shell Premium 5k will be easy and 7.5k maybe reasonable but I won't know till I see it on paper.

Originally Posted by edyvw
VR6 is old engine, with first generation FSI technology. I would use MST in this case.

Appreciate your input. Can you expound as to why? MST is mid saps and PP LX is low saps if that has anything to do with your thoughts.

Btw, VW 50400 is 'meant' for 30,000 km or 2 years OCI in conjunction with vehicle service indicator.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
I'm sure the Ravenol SSO has a traditional additive pack. 1200 ppm of ZDDP, lots of CA, some Moly and Boron.

What stands out are the extremely low pour point (-60) and low NOACK of 7.7%. There are some premium base oils used in this product.

Since it's about the same price as the PP LX it seems like a better product. If this engine is really a port injected FSI as posted then this oil will work well in your application.

Those are impressive numbers it does sound like phenomenal oil. I was not leaning towards anything full saps due to LSPI concerns. Can you expound on what port injected FSI is? All I know is the VR6 is DI and it's my first DI engine thus the concern about LSPI.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Originally Posted by CleverUserName

Those are impressive numbers it does sound like phenomenal oil. I was not leaning towards anything full saps due to LSPI concerns. Can you expound on what port injected FSI is? All I know is the VR6 is DI and it's my first DI engine thus the concern about LSPI.

I thought this engine has port injection w/ DI but it appears I was wrong.

I haven't heard about LSPI issues with VW. It's primarily small displacement turbocharged engines that succumbed to catastrophic pre ignition engine damage.

With that said the Ravenol stuff is superior to the PP LX and meets the appropriate VW specification in the correct viscosity.

Enjoy the new car. Hope you got a good deal on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back