hyd tractor fluid in automatic transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
This is gonna be EPIC if he grenades two tranny's with an experiment!!!
lol.gif

Do you think OP will post long term results if they are bad?

If trans has any problems I will post it. My 545rfe has already been performing poorly for the last 15k. Right now it seems like it is handling heavy loads better with the tractor fluid. I have ran valvoline atf4 and universal amsoil in it before. A little history of this trans. I have had jeep since it was new. Jeep has 80k on it. Noticed a shift flare dropped pan at about 65k, the filter split so i think it would lose fluid to pickup. New filter now. I think it glazed the converter lockup clutch and maybe some clutch packs. The trans is probably on borrowed time. I have rebuilt a turbo 350 and tf727 also a c4, they performed well. Its just a real pain to get trans out of the jeep from the looks of it. I have also added a sonnax line pressure booster to it. It seemed to help it. My problems are at more than half throttle in 4th and 5th gear on 5% plus grades. I always run it in 4th on hills now. So if this tractor fluid keeps it running GREAT. Seems some aren't too optimistic.

We bought a $28,000 transmission because the guy servicing ut for the first 6500hrs thought it used UTF. He no longer services things.

If you are certain that the Jeep tranny is on it's way out and have a Plan B then you have nothing to lose by using a fluid not designed for a vehicle AT . It sounds like you are hoping it does goe out because you have some components to put it it when and if it does fail.

I simply want to warn other readers who might see this post that this is not a good idea.

There are many types of hydraulic fluids and each type of hydraulic fluid is designed for a specific purpose. You wouldn't take a Chevy Cruze rock climbing on an unimproved trail because it is not designed to do so.

Do you now agree or understand that hydraulic fluids designed for tractor wet clutches do not contain the same type or quantity of fricton modifier or base oils required for AT's. And I would not use DexronVI in a Case IH or John Deer's hydraulic system.

Do you want to play the same Russian Roulette with your other vehicle(s) that may not be on the way out?

I am pessimistic because I just can't see using a fluid designed for a different type of component, being used in a personal vehicle because some uneducated turkeys on an Internet Website are experimenting with their vehicles.

Additionally, the correct fluids are available at such decent prices these days why would you play such a game of chance?

I saw so much misinformation on the website you linked that is makes me wonder why that other website even exists.

But, it is your vehicle, your pocketbook, and your grand experiment.

Last edited:
OK, the dumb edits timeout got me before I could clean up my typos.

If you are certain that the Jeep tranny is on it's way out and have a Plan B then you have nothing to lose by using a fluid not designed for a vehicle AT . It sounds like you are hoping it does fail out because you have some components to put it it when and if it does fail.

I simply want to warn other readers who might see this post that this is not a good idea.

There are many types of hydraulic fluids and each type of hydraulic fluid is designed for a specific purpose. You wouldn't take a Chevy Cruze offroading on an unimproved trail because it is not designed to do so.

Highline9, do you now agree or understand that hydraulic fluids designed for tractor wet clutches do not contain the same type or quantity of fricton modifier or base oils required for AT's. Would you use DexronVI in a Case IH or John Deer's hydraulic system?

Do you want to play the same Russian Roulette with your other vehicle(s) that may not be on the way out?

I am pessimistic because I just can't see using a fluid designed for a different type of component, being used in a personal vehicle because some uneducated turkeys on an Internet Website are experimenting with their vehicles.

Additionally, the correct fluids are available at such decent prices these days why would you play such a game of chance?

I saw so much misinformation on the website you linked that is makes me wonder why that other website even exists.

But, it is your vehicle, your pocketbook, and your grand experiment.

Last edited:
Update. Both vehicals running great. Drained and refilled 3rd time. Shifting faster but not harsh, converter slips less when unlocked. lock up clutch in converter less sloppy.

You put in a likely thicker and friction modifier free fluid, it will shift firmer and the converter will be tighter. This is no different than the old "Type F in a chevy trans" trick.

Flash point is higher than atf. Tractor fluid im using lite 30wt. Type f thin like a 10wt.

Originally Posted By: Highline9
Flash point is higher than atf. Tractor fluid im using lite 30wt. Type f thin like a 10wt.

I have no idea why the flashpoint is germaine, but you may need a higher flashpoint when it goes up in smoke.
grin.gif

Just had the car upholster with nomex. The automatic heat sensing Halon fire extinguishers were installed.

Quote:
Just had the car upholster[ed] with nomex. The automatic heat sensing Halon fire extinguishers were installed.

Like I said, more power to you
thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

What ever will make the trannys last is great. I have put about 5k on the elantra since the fluid flush, drives great been going up and down the cajon pass for work this week.

I use Tractor/Trans fluid in my 02 cummins 47RE and my 98 neon with excellent results! When my uncle rebuilt my neon trans we reused the clutches he said they looked brand new. Actually of you read in some drag racing and truck pulling forums Tractor Trans fluid is highly recommended by alot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back