2005 Impala oil capacity/filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil on my 2005 Impala (3.4 V6) with 33k miles. It has approximately 700 miles on the OCI. Oil level is down about 1/4 qt. Capacity, according to the manual is 4 quarts with filter. Just wondering if I am safe to put in 5 quarts. Is there a longer filter that I can substitute on this vehicle?

If your manual calls for 4, I would not put 5 in. After you put in the 4 , check the level and add a little if neceessary. Losing a 1/4 qt in 700 miles seems a little high for that mileage. The 3.4 takes a PF47. The longer filter is the PF52 and there is plenty of room on that engine. The filter would hold an extra 1/4 qt, but check the level on the dipstick.

Dipstick could be wrong. Ask GM. My truck takes 6 qts even but always shows over on the stick. Many folks w/ the 5.3 have the same issue. My 2000 Impala took 4.5 but it got 5 qts.

One guy says don't trust the manual, and go by the dipstick. Another says the dipstick could be wrong and ask GM. I'm really confused!

OK, make it easy. Drain oil until you get drips not dribbles.
Change filter. Add 4.5 qts of your favorite oil. Run engine for a few minutes. Shut off and wait for 5 minutes.
Check oil on dip stick.
IF the dip stick shows anything other than at or real close to the
'FULL' line, then buy a new dip stick. IF it's close, you are good to go as it is.

Originally Posted By: SL2
4.5 qts w/filter and call it a day. Don't even check the dip stick. :)

Go with the full 5 qts and check the stick after letting it run
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
My Sister has a 2005 Impala with the 3.4L. It calls for 4 qts of oil. 4qts and it is right on the full line. I would not add 4.5 or 5 qts to this application.

The oil pan gasket on my 2005 Impala 3.8L leaks and the new gasket has a windage shield to prevent the crankshaft from whipping up the oil, aerating it.
You might want to be very careful about adding too much oil if aerating the oil is a design problem.
Look at your oil pan gasket on rockauto.com to see if your car engine has a windage shield.

Originally Posted by MrCritical
Don't go by the manual.

Go by the oil dipsick.

Bad advice. Go by the manual, check the level right after an oil change and scribe a mark on the dipstick, if needed. There have been so many TSB's regarding dipsticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back