Tire age and when to replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
The one extenuating factor is the fact that they have been garaged kept. This would buy some extra time. However, being this is your personal car, I would still change out at 10 years.

I agree. Being garage kept and seeing no obvious signs of fatigue is why I posted the thread. New Michelin Defenders are now on their way. $64 for a solid tire is a reasonable price. Thanks for your input.

Sam

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by philipp10
I don't know if I am worse off with the garbage you just listed or with 10 year old Michelins....

Do you only buy things for status symbols? Since when are Cooper tires and General Altimax RT43s garbage?

Are Rolex watches the only ones to wear? Mercedes cars? Trane air conditioners? Versace suits? Do you wear a monocle, a top hat, and carry around a pimp cane?
Why are you shaming OP for preferring Mich? You're not gate keeping the board's favorite tire brands are you?
Let OP run whatever tires he wants, the whole point of this thread was to get him to change his tires. Now you accusing him of being the monopoly man because he doesn't use the brands you like? Heaven forbid he buys a VW......
You're obviously not paying very good attention. philipp10 isn't the OP, and he didn't mention buying Michelin replacement tires until AFTER I posted about it.

According to this board, tires are a ticking time bomb the day they turn six years old and will explode and kill your family. Rope plugs will lead to belt rust and the second you reach highway speeds the tire will explode and kill your family. Sounds like a tire shop echo chamber.

It's not just this board, it's many tire experts. Keep burying your head in the sand and ignore the facts, but that doesn't make them go away. Just because you've been lucky so far doesn't make you right. It is still a disaster waiting to happen, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Originally Posted by Patman

According to this board, tires are a ticking time bomb the day they turn six years old and will explode and kill your family. Rope plugs will lead to belt rust and the second you reach highway speeds the tire will explode and kill your family. Sounds like a tire shop echo chamber.

It's not just this board, it's many tire experts. Keep burying your head in the sand and ignore the facts, but that doesn't make them go away. Just because you've been lucky so far doesn't make you right. It is still a disaster waiting to happen, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

I agree the tires should be replaced. What bothers me though is that none of these experts nor the tire companies mention that there is a difference between a garage kept tire and one out in Phoenix in the sun everyday from new. It should be pretty obvious that a tire sitting in the desert is going to age much quicker, perhaps not in 6 years but maybe in 3. Ever seen the damage done to the dash of a car in Phoenix? Doesn't happen in Minnesota. On the other hand, ours will rust and Phoenix's will not. That is what bothers many of the posters here.....the blind faith of "time" as the enemy.

Last edited:
According to this board, tires are a ticking time bomb the day they turn six years old and will explode and kill your family. Rope plugs will lead to belt rust and the second you reach highway speeds the tire will explode and kill your family.

"In 2017, a total of 738 people died on the road in tire-related crashes."- National Highway Safety Administration
How many of those people do you think would still be alive if they had newer tires, properly inflated tires, or properly repaired tires?
Rope plugs do help prevent belt rust, it is patches they do not. The problem with rope plugs is that they sometimes fail, sometimes leak, which could have been easily prevented.
I don't see the point in becoming a statistic, especially on a piece of rubber that goes down the road often at 85 mph.

i change tire last week with mileage 70000 km in around 2-3 years. the depth thread still on range but the condition since i used my car light off-road is very concerned. i use Hankook Kinergy Ex and change with same.

Originally Posted by Lubener
I go by the appearance and condition not age.

And the problem with that is that some tire manufacturers use a type of rubber on the outside that doesn't show what is happening inside.

In

Originally Posted by eljefino

Yeah, right, did the Pilgrims check the date codes on their sailboat? Nope, they just went for it!
And not all of them made it.
smile.gif

A volvo sedan will stay upright if it blows a tire, and then you're on solid ground wondering what to do next.
During winter, traction can already be limited as is. A blown tire can make matters even worse and cause you to lose control, preventing you from getting out of harm's way in time.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

And the problem with that is that some tire manufacturers use a type of rubber on the outside that doesn't show what is happening inside.

Apparently not Michelin. This pulled up beside me at a light the other day. Chunks out of the sidewall but no curb rash on the wheel.

michelinsmall.jpg

The most important thing to do in your life is to not interfere with someone else's life. - Frank Zappa

Unless it is going to impact you or your family's safety!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The most important thing to do in your life is to not interfere with someone else's life. - Frank Zappa

Or someone else's safety?

I'm going to DT Thursday to replace 4.5 year old/ 50K mile tires with 4/32s because I have a 75 mile/day commute and expect some bad road conditions. So I'm either cautious or wasteful. My main concerns are wet/dry handling/braking, road noise, tread life not a deciding factor.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Apparently not Michelin. This pulled up beside me at a light the other day. Chunks out of the sidewall but no curb rash on the wheel.

I've seen similar damage on tires (no specific brand) that were run at very low pressures for extended periods. Usually it was a case of something puncturing the tire, and slowly deflating, and no feel for the deteriorating vehicle dynamics by the driver.

Last edited:

I'm going to DT Thursday to replace 4.5 year old/ 50K mile tires with 4/32s because I have a 75 mile/day commute and expect some bad road conditions. So I'm either cautious or wasteful. My main concerns are wet/dry handling/braking, road noise, tread life not a deciding factor.

It's not wasteful at all. Unlike some foolish members of this site, you obviously care about your family's safety and the safety of others on the road around you. Good job
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Patman

It's not wasteful at all. Unlike some foolish members of this site, you obviously care about your family's safety and the safety of others on the road around you. Good job
cheers3.gif

100 percent agree. In my opinion it is always better to be safe than sorry.

In

The outside is what is exposed to the elements and UV light. I would believe that will deteriorate first.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

I am more concerned about an idiot on the phone while driving than someone riding on old tires.

I am more concerned about an idiot on the phone while driving than someone riding on old tires.

Just because that's a bigger concern doesn't mean we should still ignore other safety hazards.

In

The outside is what is exposed to the elements and UV light. I would believe that will deteriorate first.
But what does CapriRacer know, he's ONLY an actual tire engineer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back