HM oil choices: 09' Camry with 145k on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning BITOGERS. Before I cut member Loi's filters; I do notice that the 2AZ-FE engine has coked rings causing my oil consumption or something else I can't forsee. Debating trying ST HM Conventional or ST HM Syn or M1 HM

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by dave1251
Try ST conventional with a couple of MOM cleanings towards the end of OCI. Afterwards switch to ST HM.

Dave: not to nitpick but do you mean Marvel Mystery Oil?

Thabk You also

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by dave1251
Try ST conventional with a couple of MOM cleanings towards the end of OCI. Afterwards switch to ST HM.

Dave: not to nitpick but do you mean Marvel Mystery Oil?

Thabk You also

No worries. Yes I mean Marvel Mystery Oil. If the rings are coked it should help losen them. Another option is the Valvoline Blue but it's pricey.

Unfortunately that motor is know for oil consumption. How much oil do you need to add and what is the duration?

Give the MMO a try. I think you should use the cheapest HM 5w-30 oil you can get.

I'd use the oil in your stash and top off with a gallon of HM ST conventional oil as needed. That should last a while. The OP hasn't owned the car that long and is only recently starting to use oil.

Isn't PP "supposed" to be a legendary "cleaning" oil (from what I've read here)? Maybe give PPHM 30W a try.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Marvel MMO in the gas - at the recommended rate - does a great job of keeping the ring pack clean

I have a gallon or two of MMO. Thinking of adding to end of 3k oci
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I'd use the oil in your stash and top off with a gallon of HM ST conventional oil as needed. That should last a while. The OP hasn't owned the car that long and is only recently starting to use oil.

I have another 5qt jug of HK blend 5w20 in the stash. Used the Maxlife blend in friends late 90's ranger last night.

Yeah, this started at 9,100 miles into the m1 10w40 HM run. Had to add 3/4~ quart of oil, then ran til i hit 10k

The M1 10w30 EP i feel would be waste of synthetic. I'll nab a jug of ST5W30 blend/conventional

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
The M1 10w30 EP i feel would be waste of synthetic. I'll nab a jug of ST5W30 blend/conventional

I agree it would be a waste in this application.

My 08 xb started using oil as well after 100k. I went from 5w-20 to 5w-30 HM and now using 10w-40 M1 HM and it's finally slowed down. I heard horror stories about that ring repair so I skipped it.

Originally Posted by A_A_G
My 08 xb started using oil as well after 100k. I went from 5w-20 to 5w-30 HM and now using 10w-40 M1 HM and it's finally slowed down. I heard horror stories about that ring repair so I skipped it.

Sir: how much consumption did you have and now have? Thank You in advance

So, i nabbed a jug of ST 5W30 HM Syn and last jug of STHM Syn 0w20. The 0w20 was online at "my store" $15.98 even though shelf wasnt correct as it said $17.98

I will change oil this week real soon and added about 4oz MMO to gas when i filled up today ( car only took 8 gallons)

I have an 04 2az-fe with 209k miles
Mostly highway....I try a lot of oils depending on what I can get cheapest.

I burn about 1.5 qts in 5,000 miles with valvoline maxlife 10w30 API SN RC

I burn about 1 quart in 5k miles with Quaker State High Mileage 10w30 API SN RC

...Burn about 2 quarts in 5 k with pennzoil platinum 10w30 API SN RC

But the oils I had the LEAST consumption was...

Mobil 1 high mileage 10w30 API SN/SM
&
Quaker state UD Full Syn 5w30 API SN RC

Both of the above mentioned burned less than 1/2 a quart in 5k miles

Hope that helps...

So QSUD 5w30 and M1 HM 10w30 it burned or consumed less. I'll wait til M1 HM stuff goes on rollback or maybe find some cheaper than $26

I have used Mobile1 5W30 on my 2004 Honday Accord for last 2 years. I have 145k Miles on it. I started using it when my rear main seal was leaking. Using HM fixed the issue and I continues using it since then. My car is bone dry from bottom now.

I have no other reason to try any other brand since this worked. Also, it is always available at my Local Walmart for $26 /5 Qt Jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back