Tire age and when to replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you drive this car at least once a week? Part of tire aging is if they don't get any exercise. Personally i would be tempted to replace them just because they have gotta be super hard by now. That tire starts out pretty hard and only gets harder with age.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
No myth, happens in the SW all the time, not so much in Ct where the OP lives. Remember Nick's frame of reference is Phoenix. Anyone running 10 year or older tires here is asking for trouble. Back East most people don't know and don't care how old their tires are, when they wear out replace them. Here I won't buy tires over 6 months old.
Yeah, I know. It's the UV that really kills them. But not everyone lives in the desert, but if that becomes common knowledge fewer tires will be sold. So that leaves us to parrot marketing garbage so we can virtue signal here on BITOG.

Old tires are probably going to be found on a car that isn't driven much. Being that it isn't driven much, the tire pressures could be low. Someone hops in it and takes it for a nice highway rip and boom, blowout from under-inflation. How likely is this to happen as opposed to a car that is driven regularly but not far enough to beat the clock on the tires?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's no expiry date on tires mentioned anywhere, run them until they look or feel bad.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Time to replace. Sure would be a shame if one lost its tread and it slapped around and ruined your quarter panel or fender. Tires for 14" wheels are dirt cheap too.
I agree with you because 14s are cheap, but tires don't explode because they are old. That's a BITOG myth.

It's not a myth, it's a fact that only cheapskates like you want to argue against. You seriously can't afford to buy new tires every 6 or 7 years? It's just common sense really. Why put your family at risk to save a few bucks? That's the definition of insanity.

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
I have a set on Michelin Harmony 185/70R14 on the 240 sedan. Mfg 24/06, 30/07, 24/08, 24/08. Installed May 2009. 45,000 miles since installation. 8/32" tread depth. Always garaged. No dry rot, no cracks, no obvious issues.

They run and handle perfectly. And they're super quiet.

My mechanic highly recommends that I replace them based on age. They seem fine to me. I hate replacing something before its time but I trust my mechanic.

Should I replace them? Any constructive thoughts would be most appreciated.

Sam

I would change them out, no question. You are over 10 years.....OR never drive the car over 35 mph lol

Last edited:
My tire mechanic whom I trusted (he retired) said to me years ago not to use tires that are older than 5-6 years from manufacturing. He said if you putzer around a small town and never exceed 60 Kmh you may get away with it and if one blows the speed is such that you may be able to manoeuvre safely. I've followed his advice as my life runs on tose tires. You can make your own decision, but remember that eyes can be tricked and you only see the outside of it.

10-year old Michelins with no cracks?
crazy2.gif
27.gif

Replace them. They are all at least 10 years old. A few years ago I bought a low mileage 10 year old truck. The tires looked fine, plenty of tread but they were the original equipment tires (10 years old). Within a month I had a tread separate on one and made a bubble as big as an orange. I had to limp home at 20 mph. I put four new tires on it the next day.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Time to replace. Sure would be a shame if one lost its tread and it slapped around and ruined your quarter panel or fender. Tires for 14" wheels are dirt cheap too.

Michelin Harmony's are hardly "dirt cheap"

Seeing as how they don't make that tire anymore, they really are dirt cheap.

If it takes 10 years to wear out tires, then someone would have to have a mental condition to replace them with Michelins again, what a waste of time and money as the car clearly doesn't get enough miles put on to matter.

In size 185/70-14 tires start at $32 at Discount Tire. Coopers are $53 each, and General Altima's RT43's are $73. And if one wants to be silly they could buy Michelin Defenders for $106 each. Cheap cheap cheap.

Originally Posted by Patman
It's not a myth, it's a fact that only cheapskates like you want to argue against. You seriously can't afford to buy new tires every 6 or 7 years? It's just common sense really. Why put your family at risk to save a few bucks? That's the definition of insanity.
I would buy stickier tires that I could wear out. I've never bought a new set of tires for my cars and have owned my own cars for five years. If I could control all variables of course not, but if I get a car with six year old tires that have plenty of tread and look and feel OK I'm not replacing them. If it is a car that I know has been sitting, especially sitting outside I might make an exception.

Originally Posted by Pelican
My tire mechanic whom I trusted (he retired) said to me years ago not to use tires that are older than 5-6 years from manufacturing. He said if you putzer around a small town and never exceed 60 Kmh you may get away with it and if one blows the speed is such that you may be able to manoeuvre safely. I've followed his advice as my life runs on tose tires. You can make your own decision, but remember that eyes can be tricked and you only see the outside of it.
I pulled a set of snowies off a car in the boneyard in 2016 and they are from 2009. I take corners fast, brake heavily and drive on the highway with them. My dad has an old spare tire on the rear of his 97 GMC that is around thirty years old, I have driven it on the highway numerous times and put lots of weight in it. I would have thrown that tire out twenty years ago. Remember that your mind can be tricked and your wallet lightened by salesmen.

According to this board, tires are a ticking time bomb the day they turn six years old and will explode and kill your family. Rope plugs will lead to belt rust and the second you reach highway speeds the tire will explode and kill your family. Sounds like a tire shop echo chamber.

Many thanks for the comments. I've decided to change them out. Simple Tire has the Defenders for $257 delivered AR. I'll be taking a 4,000 mile trip to trip to Texas in the early Spring . No sense in worrying about it.

Sam

Michelin Harmony's are hardly "dirt cheap"

Seeing as how they don't make that tire anymore, they really are dirt cheap.

If it takes 10 years to wear out tires, then someone would have to have a mental condition to replace them with Michelins again, what a waste of time and money as the car clearly doesn't get enough miles put on to matter.

In size 185/70-14 tires start at $32 at Discount Tire. Coopers are $53 each, and General Altima's RT43's are $73. And if one wants to be silly they could buy Michelin Defenders for $106 each. Cheap cheap cheap.

I don't know if I am worse off with the garbage you just listed or with 10 year old Michelins....

The one extenuating factor is the fact that they have been garaged kept. This would buy some extra time. However, being this is your personal car, I would still change out at 10 years.

I don't know if I am worse off with the garbage you just listed or with 10 year old Michelins....

Do you only buy things for status symbols? Since when are Cooper tires and General Altimax RT43s garbage?

Are Rolex watches the only ones to wear? Mercedes cars? Trane air conditioners? Versace suits? Do you wear a monocle, a top hat, and carry around a pimp cane?

Do you only buy things for status symbols? Since when are Cooper tires and General Altimax RT43s garbage?

Are Rolex watches the only ones to wear? Mercedes cars? Trane air conditioners? Versace suits? Do you wear a monocle, a top hat, and carry around a pimp cane?
Why are you shaming OP for preferring Mich? You're not gate keeping the board's favorite tire brands are you?
Let OP run whatever tires he wants, the whole point of this thread was to get him to change his tires. Now you accusing him of being the monopoly man because he doesn't use the brands you like? Heaven forbid he buys a VW......

At the end of the day its at ur own risk. If you drive gently id keep em. Otherwise replace as soon as budget allows.

I just don't see how you can compare a $53 tire to a tire that runs $130 and up. Reminds me of the time back in 1992, I was going to pre-emptively change out some radiator hoses on a 1983 Toyota. I bought some hoses aftermarket and brought them home. Lifted the hood and compared my 9 year old OE hoses and realized I would be downgrading my hoses by changing them out. Never did change those old Toyota hoses when I sold the car at age 16.

Last edited:

Why are you shaming OP for preferring Mich? You're not gate keeping the board's favorite tire brands are you?
Let OP run whatever tires he wants, the whole point of this thread was to get him to change his tires. Now you accusing him of being the monopoly man because he doesn't use the brands you like? Heaven forbid he buys a VW......

Nick is correct. The poster called Cooper and General Alt. "garbage", which they are objectively not. Michelin puts out tires that slip through QC just like any other maker. Just because you buy a higher $ name brand doesn't mean you're getting a much better tire, or a guarantee that tire will even be safe. The old "you get what you pay for" adage does not hold true in every case, nor should it ever be relied upon without first person examination of the commodity in question.

According to this board, tires are a ticking time bomb the day they turn six years old and will explode and kill your family. Rope plugs will lead to belt rust and the second you reach highway speeds the tire will explode and kill your family. Sounds like a tire shop echo chamber.

Yeah, right, did the Pilgrims check the date codes on their sailboat? Nope, they just went for it! A volvo sedan will stay upright if it blows a tire, and then you're on solid ground wondering what to do next.

Your safety is not worth saving a few $ on tires. The Harmonies were pretty good for their day but newer designs handle and brake better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back