Well that was fun! Got stung by a Bark Scorpion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh.. I couldn't imagine.

I'm allergic enough to bee/wasp stings that the pain just from that is awful, the area swells badly and the skin eventually turns purple/black like it's dead. A scorpion would kill me. LOL

I got stung by one at school in 2nd grade, ambulance had to take me to the ER. It's 100 times more painful than a bee sting and I remember that like it was yesterday - back in 1972.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Wearing flip flops or what ?

Nope, barefoot. Wasn't really thinking about that when I went to check out the noise.. I will in the future.

Originally Posted by wemay
Ouch! I was stung by a Fl Bark Scorpion on my right shoulder blade and that was excruciating. I can't imagine what a sting from Centroides sculpturatus is like. I used to keep arachnids but never one that venomous. Just Desert Hairy and Asian Forrest.

Yeah.. at first it felt like I had stepped on a needle.. then after about 5 seconds, started feeling like the needle was being gradually pushed through my toe... then gradually like the needle was being heated by a flame.. eventually, the entire area around it felt like that.

The pain has since subsided, for the most part, but about 1/2 of my foot is numb, the skin on my toes, entire top of my foot, and on my leg about 5" up from my foot is super sensitive and hurts to touch, any movement or touch any where on my foot causes the feeling of being mildly electrocuted all over my entire foot.. sort of like pins & needles on steroids..

Originally Posted by andyd
My daughter was at a conference in Phoenix. She pulled on a boot and got stung.

That's gotta be very unpleasant having to travel with the aftereffects of a scorpion sting.. ugh

Originally Posted by JTK

I'm allergic enough to bee/wasp stings that the pain just from that is awful, the area swells badly and the skin eventually turns purple/black like it's dead. A scorpion would kill me. LOL

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of lucky in that respect. I don't seem to react much to bee stings and other types of stings.. I remember I once got stung by a bee on my neck, about 2" to the left of my adams apple.. Just pulled it out and went on my way. Had a small red welt there for about 2 hours and it was gone.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Thanks, yes. For the nights where it dips below 50°F they have a night heat lamp to help keep them warm. I'll share pics later today.

I have two red eared sliders. I'd love to see your turtles.

Merle is the larger one. He's a Helmeted Tortoise
Pearl is a Herman's Tortoise

The orange/coral colored item to the right is a papaya that fell while we were out of town. They've been having a feast.

20181130_144211.jpg

20181130_144233.jpg

20181130_144649.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by 4WD
Wearing flip flops or what ?

Nope, barefoot. Wasn't really thinking about that when I went to check out the noise.. I will in the future.

Ouch! I was stung by a Fl Bark Scorpion on my right shoulder blade and that was excruciating. I can't imagine what a sting from Centroides sculpturatus is like. I used to keep arachnids but never one that venomous. Just Desert Hairy and Asian Forrest.

Yeah.. at first it felt like I had stepped on a needle.. then after about 5 seconds, started feeling like the needle was being gradually pushed through my toe... then gradually like the needle was being heated by a flame.. eventually, the entire area around it felt like that.

The pain has since subsided, for the most part, but about 1/2 of my foot is numb, the skin on my toes, entire top of my foot, and on my leg about 5" up from my foot is super sensitive and hurts to touch, any movement or touch any where on my foot causes the feeling of being mildly electrocuted all over my entire foot.. sort of like pins & needles on steroids..

Originally Posted by andyd
My daughter was at a conference in Phoenix. She pulled on a boot and got stung.

That's gotta be very unpleasant having to travel with the aftereffects of a scorpion sting.. ugh

Originally Posted by JTK

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of lucky in that respect. I don't seem to react much to bee stings and other types of stings.. I remember I once got stung by a bee on my neck, about 2" to the left of my adams apple.. Just pulled it out and went on my way. Had a small red welt there for about 2 hours and it was gone.

Glad you're coming along. Your description brought back vivid memories of the hypersensitivity. ...–🤬

Couple months into doing the Wim Hof thing...

Scientific proof is that his techniques can increase adrenaline/epinephrine by 250% in 2o minutes (internal EpiPen anyone??) I'll be interested in if I can affect the swelling with my summer bee stings, of which I usually get 1 or 2.

I got stung by one of those suckers late at night at home in Apple Valley Ca. I remember it felt like someone stuck a red hot hypodermic needle into my foot. Captured him in a jar in case I needed medical, and the species needed to be identified.
Pain subsided after a short while and I realized it was no big deal. I figured the scorpion was just doing what scorpions did, so I let him go. Just kidding. I got medieval on him.
Overall, it was less impact on me than a bee sting. Initial pain was more severe, but there was no swelling, itching, or other aftereffects.

I remember a friend of mine and I were walking down the other side of the dam at the lake by my dad's house back when we were maybe in the 8th grade. We kicked over this pile of bricks and heard this noise that sounded like a rattlesnake. Suddenly what looked like hundreds of HUGE jet black scorpions started going all over the place,the same way a kicked over fire ant bed looks.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Well, we see them around the house and in the yard from time to time, and I knew that they were unpleasant, but I've never had any personal issue with one... until today.

I was out front, checking out an odd truck making a lot of noise, and when I turned to come back in, as I was walking up to the front door, I felt a sharp pain in one of my toes. Looked down, and saw one of these:

[Linked Image]

Let me just say, the experience has been one I don't wish to have again.

For reference: Arizona Bark Scorpion

So not considered poisonous. See, I'd think it was a desert scorpion. Of course, I don't live in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back