Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gman2304
It is very windy today but I ran 75 rounds of the CCI 40 grain through the Marlin 60 just plinking around. It ran flawlessly and is a lot of fun. I’ll get to the range next week and fine tune the scope and hopefully will see how it does at 50 yards or so.

That scope and gun setup should be able to do 100 yard shooting all day long. I put a Simmons 3-9 x 32 mm scope on my Marlin 60 and it's a perfect match to the rifle IMO.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I ended up going with the Marlin 60. I bought it mainly to teach my 14 and 12 year old granddaughters to shoot a rifle. I feel the tube magazine will be simple and easy for them to load. I also like that the Marlin has the last shot ‘bolt hold open’ feature. My local gun shop gave me a good deal. The Marlin 60, 100 rounds of CCI 40 grain ammo and a Simmons 3-9x/32mm 22 mag scope for $225.00 OTD. They also mounted the scope for me at no charge.

Sometimes, depending on the type of rings used on 3/8" Aluminum dovetailed .22 receivers, scopes and mounts can come loose. If you find that happens, get yourself a set of these 3/8" dovetail to Weaver bases from Brownell's. They provide a much larger clamping surface to the receiver. And you can use standard Weaver or Picitinny rail type scope rings. I installed a set on one of my Marlin Model 60's, along with a set of Burris Signature Zee Rings with the Polymer inserts. It's a nice, secure set up that will never come loose. And it makes an already accurate gun even more accurate.

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mountin...-prod18690.aspx

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Rings should be mounted with Vibratite or Loctite. If they come loose, then you know that no thread locker was used.

The biggest issue with 3/8" dovetailed .22 receiver mounts coming loose, isn't the screws themselves loosening up. But rather the very small amount of surface area that is provided by the tiny dovetail cuts themselves. Add to that the fact the bulk of these .22 semi auto receivers are Aluminum, and it only exacerbates the problem because Aluminum is soft, and easily upsets if the rings are over tightened.

These bases from B-Square provide over 4 times the clamping area by utilizing a full 4 inches of the dovetail cut for the bases themselves to clamp on. Not to mention they allow for much stronger 1" Weaver type centerfire rings to be employed. Of which there are dozens to choose from. Once tightened, they stay tight. It's the way to go when the receiver is not drilled and tapped. But only has the dovetail cuts like the Marlin Model 60 has.

guess it really comes down to what one is wanting the .22 rifle for. For general plinking fun, the Ruger gets it done well. if one needs a tack driving squirrel rifle, the Marlin 60 is the better choice. Mine is either an occasional shooter on range behind my house or used for small game. I sold a 10/22 some time back to a neighbor who had need of a good .22 and kept the Marlin 60. No regrets. There is no doubt the 10/22 is a lot of fun, reliable, and lots of add on stuff to tailer it to individual tastes. My needs are more inline with putting a round in the head of small critters at some distance and I don't need quick reloading of the magazine like with a 10/22. The 60 is where it is at for that job.

I took billt's advice and bought the mount he suggested for my model 60. It's very sturdy and hasn't loosened like the Simmons mount. I also sent my trigger group to "arrow dodger", a member on rim fire central for his gold trigger upgrade. Trigger pull went from 5 lbs to 1 pound and the reset is amazing. On a side note, I bought a Marlin model 99 m1 carbine a few months ago from my sons neighbor. It's a 1968, the last year before Marlin started putting serial numbers on, and has beautiful walnut wood, the original sights, nice bulls eye, and leather strap. Both like cci ammo and have been trouble free. I'm now on the prowl for a Marlin 989 m2 carbine with the box magazine. The CZ 452 and 455 are on my short list as well.

How about a third option? The Mossberg Plinkster is a great little .22 rifle. In either bolt action or semi they are a great little rifle.

It's a necropost, and he already bought his rifle...

Today I would look hard at the Thompson Center TCR22. It's a Ruger clone, but looks like a much better built Ruger with some very nice features, like last round hold open and pickatinny rail machined right on the reciever for mounting red dots and scopes.

Smith and Wesson owns Thompson Center, so I consider it a Smith Wesson version of the Ruger 10/22.

The Ruger 10/22 is (my opinion, obviously) THE way to go. Trigger jobs are painfully easy, and parts/accessories are limited by the imagination. Brownell's catalog on line has a section just for the 10/22.

it's sort of the firearm version of a LEGO set. You can pimp it out to some of the wierdest configurations, and then return it to stock configuration.

Originally Posted by HouseTiger
The Ruger 10/22 is (my opinion, obviously) THE way to go. Trigger jobs are painfully easy, and parts/accessories are limited by the imagination. Brownell's catalog on line has a section just for the 10/22.

it's sort of the firearm version of a LEGO set. You can pimp it out to some of the wierdest configurations, and then return it to stock configuration.
Always a +

I sold my 10/22, I just didn't like it
21.gif
my buddy kept his. I use a nice little mag-fed Savage stainless bolt .22 now when I want to plink, which is a much more accurate rifle in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back