Costco Gas - Very much worth the membership cost.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Seeing out of state gas prices is depressing. Paid $3.19 for 91 octane Costco.

Don't worry, I paid $2.14 for 87 octane but
91 Octane is stil $3.50 a gallon around here

So you saved bank compared to what I would have to pay for premium

Costco vs local Hele is $0.64 difference. Hele's been having a sale with the station about 1/4 mile from Costco cheaper by 5 cents.

Costco Regular = $2.699
Hele Waipio = $2.649

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Seeing out of state gas prices is depressing. Paid $3.19 for 91 octane Costco. Thought it was a good deal. Chevron is $3.55 Costco usually $0.30-$0.40 cheaper for top tier.

Most stations are around $1.95/gallon for 87 octane and 93 is $0.50-0.60 higher.

Sam's Club (we have a membership there but they aren't convenient enough for us to use them routinely) is $1.92 but a little over a week ago they were at least $0.30 cheaper than other gas stations (not counting Costco). Costco is $1.92 currently as well. According to Gas Buddy, they are the cheapest in the area at the moment.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
I am a Costco member, but unfortunately they only have 85 and 91 octane here. My cars call for 87.

I have the same issue at BJ's where they only have 87 and 93....and my car needs 91. Simple solution. I mix approximately half and half or tad stronger on the 93.

Yours is approx 3 gal 91 to every 7 gal 85.....net 87.

Costco near me is 2.99 while most others are in the 3.50 range give or take .10 or so. Local Arco (which I never use) is currently 3.35 while some Chevron stations are 3.65. I let my membership for Costco expire a while back, but I use to get gas when they opened in the morning (5 a.m.) and there was never a line. I heard the gas pumps at my Costco were closed for a month or so a while back for them to add more pumps and "update."

Last edited:
Fill at Costco in the Pittsburgh area other than in urgent situations, as it is 6 miles away. We add 89 in most of our vehicles, other than a couple which take premium. At Costco, I fill up twice each time on cars that take 89 octane by winging 50% 87 and 50% 93 octane. It does not take that much longer and I have not ticked anyone off as yet. I am usually within a gallon of a true 50/50 split. The wait is typically under 5 mins in non peak hours. Today, premium was 2.759/gal and this is crazy low; 87 octane was either 2.359 or 2.459/gal.

Use the Costco near work, when it opens at 5:30am, and there's always a line, but it's not bad at that time.
Occasionally the guy's late opening, so I fill up at the 24hr Arco a hundred yards away; it's usually $0.20 higher.
No MPG difference.
I think the 4% CB for using their Visa to buy gasoline ends next month for me.

The other top-tier stations have started pairing with grocery stores, so you have to buy groceries at a major store in order to get a decent price on gasoline. Forget that.
Wife does the grocery shopping/couponing.
I've heard SoCal is very tough to compete in.

I have been a member of Costco for over 18 years,in addition to saving on each gallon of gas,I get a 4% rebate on gas purchases on my Costco Visa each month.Costco is a winner and i like to do business with winners!

Near north Chicago suburbs we have Costco, Sam's, food for less
All at 2.24 right now .

Costco is the only top tier .
Sams has cheapest diesel by 10c under food for less.
Sams and food for less tied for cheapest premium at 10c under Costco price.

Food for less doesn't even have a membership fee. Great deal if you don't want to pay for a membership.
I typically go to Costco and use my brothers Costco card, best of both.

Last edited:
Hey JerryBob,

Reside on the Front Range Denver Suburbs and have heard for years about the effect upon altitude and the octane rating. Ammolab made reference to this and said he has no problem with 85 octane at about 6,000 feet elevation.

"As engines take in less oxygen per cycle, they produce less compression than they would at sea level. Because of the changes in atmospheric pressure, 85 octane at high elevation is the performance equivalent of 87 octane at low elevation."

I have never in the 37 years I have lived here had any problems with 85 octane. I would give it a try, if no performance problems, pinging etc. you may be wasting money paying for higher octane at altitude.

Scott

Originally Posted by Pelican
Though I'm a member I never buy gas at Costco! I can get $0.03 off Petro Canada with my Visa and another $0.05 with petropoints so I don't see the need to line-up. Also people that fill up at Costco near me say that they don't get the mileage that they get with other top tier brands, they don't say why and I didn't ask since I don't use it, but perhaps they don't get it from a top tier company, I don't know.

I get 4% cash back right off my credit card for gas, so that makes it easy. The G37 doesn't like Petro-Canada premium, but I must say that with PC, the hours are very convenient.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Im not sitting 2 hrs to save a few cents per gallon!

Exactly my thoughts.The Costco in my area is a nightmare to get to with all the traffic and then once your there having to deal with a million people ,on their phones in a rush trying not to spill their coffee . No thanks

Y'all must have some crazy CostCo's - I usually try to hit it between 7-8AM on a Sat or Sun and I have only had to wait like 3 minutes once. Usually I can just pull right up to a pump, yeah the cones to define the waiting line are usually already setup when I get there in the morning so not entirely sure when the rush starts.

Looking at Gasbuddy right now the spread has gone down to ~.35 vs the QT for premium - Fulton County (GA) is an anomaly when it comes to gas prices, there are areas right on the county line with DeKalb where a 1/4 mile drive to DeKalb will save you .20/gallon. Unfortunately it would be a 10-12 mile drive each way from my house for me to cross counties for cheaper gas prices so the savings would be a total wash when you factor in the 20-22 mile roundtrip (1 gallon) and the time involved.

The Costco here runs anywhere from 5 to 20 cents less than the nearby stations.One of these days I should get the Costco credit card for the additional 4% off. I usually follow my gas mileage closely and get the best with Costco. I have noticed they are advertising they are top tier gas and have not seen them pushing they have 5 times more detergent. The pumps here are busy but most of the time I can drive right up to one, and being retired I avoid Costco on the weekends.

Costco in my neck of the woods is ALWAYS the cheapest by at least 10 cents a gallon. Did not join just for the cheap gas. The lines for gas at any normal time of day are around a ten minute wait to get to the pumps. Its very popular for gas as it is on a very major route. They are very strick about ONLY pumping gas from the side where your fuel fill is on. So there are times where there are 10 cars waiting in line at the various pumps because there fuel fill is on the same side while some pumps have nobody at them. Worked at a gas station many years ago and this is not a problem if you know what you are doing, many people dont and spill fuel so this what I was told as to why filling from the opposite side is not allowed

Originally Posted by JerryBob
I am a Costco member, but unfortunately they only have 85 and 91 octane here. My cars call for 87.

Alternate between 91 and 85. Fill when your tank reaches a 1/4 of tank.

Originally Posted by Linctex
There are no price savings AT ALL in Fort Worth.

Costco, Buc-ee's, Sam's and Quik Trip are all the same price.

No they are not. Costco is 10 cents less per gallon on 87 octane than QT.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Linctex
There are no price savings AT ALL in Fort Worth.

Costco, Buc-ee's, Sam's and Quik Trip are all the same price.

No they are not. Costco is 10 cents less per gallon on 87 octane than QT.

Using Fort Worth as a location on gas buddy says he's right. Buc-ees actually wins by a cent over Costco. Plenty of stations the same or a couple cent higher.

Unfortunately there is no Costco gas station in my typical weekly route but whenever I'm in an area that has one I will often stop there. (and in the winter when I feel like taking the Corvette for a long highway drive I'll often make Costco the destination) Costco's premium is usually less than the cost of 87 octane everywhere else. And on top of that, because I'm an executive Costco member I get 2% cash back there, on top of the 1.5% cash back I already get from my cash back Mastercard. So it definitely saves me a bundle buying gas from Costco! And it's Top Tier fuel too, so I have no concern running it in the Corvette.

Back