Motor guard M-30 conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have two m30 compressed air filters and I have a few questions. I'd like to convert these to be compatible with oil for a TP bypass setup. Will anyone care to share demensions of the center tube and what else needs to be done? Would it be beneficial to have a single tube or two separate like the original? Also does TP height matter? 4.5 vs 4 1/4 scott 1000?

Thanks.
Masonjar

Ralph made a one piece center core, which can use any height of toilet paper.
Here's Ralph's design.:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0SfWYj_PyswSFMtREtMakM4dm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wx9SjukHcg&feature=youtu.be

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
A310 thanks for your details and pics

Your welcome, I can't take credit for the video sketch. I was contacted by the gentleman that made that video and ask if I could make him a converted M30. I asked him to measure up Ralph's filter and send me the details, so that's the video and sketch. The pictures you see are the finished product I made from a piece of billet 6061 Aluminum bar. It's modified from Ralph's original by making a 1.6" core instead of 1.5" and I made it longer so it would mate up to the top washer. I also made brass thrust washers-seal's instead of the oem m30 seals that wear with time. A great filter as it's the best of the old Frantz and MotorGuard M100.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by masonjar
A310 that's nice machine work! How important do you think it is to mate with the top washer?

Thanks, I don't think it's all that important to be honest, I just did not like the way it mashed the core when it was compressed.

well i used both A310's and Ralph's design and a mix of my own. The top and bottom seal with the o-ring and is a pretty snug fit. the top piece slides down almost completely in the bottom stem. the bottom stem hole is reamed to 1 inch. the top stem hole is reamed to 9/16" and has plenty of room for oil to pass around it. ill be testing it out soon when i order hose and fittings.

IMG_20181217_160351166(1).jpg

IMG_20181217_160207729.jpg

IMG_20181217_160218265.jpg

Masonjar, would you be willing to share approximate dimensions of your piece? I am interested in following in your footsteps to convert an M30 also. Thanks much!

That looks good. Excellent machine work. I'd be interested if you made more.
I like the comment about "plenty of room for oil" considering the restrictor should be about .035.

How much flow would ideal if I were to measure the rate coming out of my bypass? I am planning to get a restrictor fitting with three different size inserts.

The Racor on my truck has a rather large (IMO) orifice of about .045. It will flow about 3 quarts a minute at idle.
Are you referring to this restrictor kit? I've found out it's really easy to make your own by tapping a 1/8 NPT to AN4 and screwing in an allen head set screw. Drill your own hole with a 1/32 bit.
Restrictor Thread

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Maxxforce
How much flow would ideal if I were to measure the rate coming out of my bypass? I am planning to get a restrictor fitting with three different size inserts.

My 4.6 liter F150 with hot oil is right about 34 oz (just a hair over a quart) in one minute.

It dumps into the valve cover through a modified oil filler cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back