Are dealers getting away from price haggling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They move or you move.

Sticker price is only for a vehicle that sells like hotcakes. Need to find the slow runner and buy at the end of the quarter and during the week or rainy days.

You want to go opposite tye crowd. Dont be afraid to be unreasonable, come up with a price and keep offering it u til someone bites

If you bought used cars the situation may be different.

New cars all depends upon what the dealer is after - moving product. Some product moves fast, other product doesnt. If it doesnt move fast, better prices are more likely, especially if theyre sitting on it.

Used vehicles depend upon their understanding of demand, and the cost structure of what they paid to get the vehicle...

They have to bargain. There are lotsa dealers out there. Call and email all the dealers with 100 miles.
I am curious: what car and what dealers?

In the past I was able to walk and they would chase me down before I got out if the parking lot and try to haggle. The last couple of times they let me walk.

Yep,if a stealer is proud,WALK. In my experience,it's the sleazy small town stealers that are always like that.

Originally Posted by Chris142
In the past I was able to walk and they would chase me down before I got out if the parking lot and try to haggle. The last couple of times they let me walk.

That seems to be pretty common... I guess too many people are paying full sticker price these days?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
If they don't just move along down the road. Too many suckers is the problem!

DO NOT OPEN this if you don't like hearing profanity:

When my Mom wanted to buy her new Matrix (back in '06) we talked to the Toyota dealers here-none of them here in greater Cincinnati wanted to make a good deal, at all. Went to Frankfort, KY-got around $3500 off sticker with no problem. Don't be afraid to walk, there's always another dealer who wants a sale!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
If they don't just move along down the road. Too many suckers is the problem!

The "Road" I move on is the electronic highway. Bought my last new car using a 500 mile range from home, got an array of prices and started working them via e-mail. When we got down to an acceptable spread, got on the phone with them. Took 15 minutes and 3 phone calls (them calling me back.)
I have found best focus is a small(er) town dealer close to a metro area. I live 20 minutes N of Columbus, and bought my last car from a dealer just S of Canton.
When I bought the Ranger in my signature (used,) they told me 9K take it or leave it. I bought it two weeks later for $5500. Always start out being nice, but don't hesitate to explore and exploit your "Inner jerk" at the proper moment.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
They move or you move.

Exactly! If I'm not happy with the salesman, the manger, or the price I walk out. It is really quite easy. My attitude is they need my money, I can spend my money where ever I want. The dealer that gives me the best price out the door wins.

A few months back my son and I had a great time buying him a new car. He learned a lot and got a great deal in the process.

You have to try all the tricks. I think a day or two before the end of the month/quarter still works.

And yeah, it depends on the model, a hot car they know they can sell they can just hold out for sticker.

Getting the best price for a car is not easy... it can be pretty hard work. Stressful at best. The car dealers do it every day and are masters at it. They have very subtle ways of putting pressure on you.

Their favorite trick is called "hide the trade". Never, ever give them the keys to your trade in. If you do, it will disappear so they can "appraise" it. It will be hard to get back. So, if they want to appraise it... go with them and KEEP YOUR KEYS. It makes it hard to walk out if you can't find your car.

My best deals on new cars have been made over the phone before I even went into the dealer. Obviously, you need to know exactly what car and options you want to make this work.

It also helps to know what other folks are paying for the same car... so the internet (mostly forums) are your friend.

And sometimes... time is your best negotiator. The last used car I bought took no negotiating at all. It was a turkey... sitting in the back of their lot, languishing for months. Every couple of weeks they would drop the price on their web page... and when they hit my price (basically wholesale) I bought it. This obviously doesn't work with cars that are in demand.

Car dealers are so "old school". They have been selling cars the same way for decades. There has to be a better way... but, until there is, NEGOTIATE.

Originally Posted by Chris142
The last couple times we bought a vehicle the dealer would not move from the sticker price.

Good economy, low unemployment, people are spending money - sales managers don't need to cut prices to make their numbers.

If you're sick of playing the game, try Carvana - I did, got a better point-click-buy price than I could negotiate in person, and the car delivered to my door. Never going back!

PM me if you want a discount code for a few hundred bucks off a purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back