2013 Outback LCA Bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2013 outback front rearward LCA bushing is trash. not quite flopping but looks 10x worse than the similar bushing on my 2010 accent for example

PIC is just for reference(internet photo) the one on car looks MUCH worse squeaky but no metal on metal yet.
[Linked Image]

I do have access to a machine shop but its metalworking shop not automotive.. doesnt have a lift or press
HF has a press for $120.

Alternatively how hard is the job with using new lower control arms.. and do you know specifically if the new LCA come loaded with bushings.
I am specifically looking at new OEM ($120?) and mevotech(sp?) from rockauto.

Last edited:
As bushings go they press out pretty easy, I have a 12 ton and it went like butter. HHR, not subie, but same premise. Could probably just do it with a 3 lb sledge and adequately large socket (or chunk of pipe) to use for an arbor.

I would not replace a stock LCA with good ball joint just to get a new bushing in there, especially with an off brand like Mevotech. This can throw your alignment off.

Originally Posted by eljefino
As bushings go they press out pretty easy, I have a 12 ton and it went like butter. HHR, not subie, but same premise. Could probably just do it with a 3 lb sledge and adequately large socket (or chunk of pipe) to use for an arbor.

I would not replace a stock LCA with good ball joint just to get a new bushing in there, especially with an off brand like Mevotech. This can throw your alignment off.

While they arent bad they do have 104000 miles on them. Also looking for input on anyone who has done the job on a gen 5 outback.
Apparently they are harder than earlier models due to the subframe? blocking your workspace/tool access
Car is a daily driver, and there is no extra car so it needs to be a one day job.

I do have access to a helper If I needed a 3rd arm type situation.. Decent tools and of course I can mod a wrench etc if needed.

An E 28's UCA ball joint outlasts the bushing 3:1. R+R'ing the bushing was fairly simple using a sawzall to cut a groove in the shell and a punch to push the shell toward the bolt hole. Installation was helped with a 5LB hammer and a piece of 2" pipe. All work done in a vise.YMMV
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back