Ram diff lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having some trouble locating diff lube for my 14 RAM. We have the "high tow" package which includes a 3.92 rear end. The manual asks for Dana spec only.

Any clues or good substitutes?

Have you looked on the door tag for a differential code or on the differential itself, my F150 had a diff code inside driver door on the vehicle tag and also a steel or aluminum tag bolted on using one of the diff cover bolts stating 75w140.

Plenty of YouTube vids, I'd say your safe with a 75w140 I didn't see a friction modifier used best bet ask your local ram service dealer.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-140 is recommended for use in modern high performance vehicles like sport utility vehicles, vans and light duty trucks requiring API GL-5 performance that require excellent durability
Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-140 is intended for initial fill, topping-off or refilling differentials, final drives, transfer cases and other gear applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5 and multi-purpose or mild EP gear lubricants are recommended
Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-140 can also be used in rear axles where API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended
Not recommended for automatic, manual or semiautomatic transmissions for which engine oil or automatic transmission fluids are recommended
Recommended for many limited slip applications. For certain high level LS applications, additional limited slip additive may be required if axle chatter is observed.
Mopar LSD additive Part# MS-10111 if needed.

You will see a price jump on the Mobil 1 75W140 (relative to the 90) …
an SDS went through here a while back and it had a high dose of PAO … tryin' to recall if not mPAO …

Last edited:
In case the Canadian manual for this vehicle is different than yours.

Manual.png

I ran 75w140 in mine and towed more than it was rated for on a few occasions. Fluid held up well, little to no wear material and the gear set looked pristine.

Thanks for all the help, fellas!

My owners manual calls for Dana specific lube as I have the "Hi Tow" package, part of which is the 3.92 gearing. I feel certain a good synthetic 75w-140 would be good.

Now I'm trying to be certain if I have a limited slip or open diff...

Use redline 75w140 or amsoil. They both have friction modifiers if you need them and if you don't, there's no harm

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Thanks for all the help, fellas!

My owners manual calls for Dana specific lube as I have the "Hi Tow" package, part of which is the 3.92 gearing. I feel certain a good synthetic 75w-140 would be good.

Now I'm trying to be certain if I have a limited slip or open diff...

3.92 is LSD

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Could be wrong, but I thought AAM was making the Ram rear axles since the early '00s? I use full syn RP 75W90 in my '06, it's always done fine with it.

Only the Heavy Duty 2500/3500 models is using AAM axles.

AAM apparently made the 9.25 up to 2010, where ZF did a retool and has been making them since. They then had a few problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back