Did Ford Backspec 5w30 from 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BobThe
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by BobThe
Originally Posted by LEADED
Per my Friends in Dearborn . FORD PCMO specs are driven by new specs . Timing Chains get 5w-30 , Timing Belts get 5w-20 , no alternatives per FORD .

But my Coyote calls for a 5W-20 and last I checked it has lots of timing chains as do both of my EB engines that call for 5w-30. Is there going to be a bulletin from Ford telling me to use a 5W-30 in my Coyote?

I doubt it ... but lots of guys run 5W-30 in their Coyote with good results.

My concern would be warranty coverage. I know I would be happier with a 5W-30 in it.

Ford would have to prove that the 5W-30 caused the failure that the warranty would cover ... highly doubt that's going to happen. Especially when they spec 5W-30 for the same engines in different countries. 5W-20 for the US is all CAFE driven.

Originally Posted by eddy21
Euro spec is 5-30 , 5-20 is for EPA mileage boost .

The Euro spec is irrelevant because they have longer drain intervals and generally run exclusively synthetic oils. CONUS is a syn-blend 5W-20 with shorter OCI's. My mom's Mercury hybrid's OLM pops at 5000 miles or one year. I highly doubt that's the case, in say, Germany. The OLM annoys me because she's adamant that it has to be changed even though I run Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE or EP in it and she is probably driving 3K a year at this point...

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by dave1251

Do you have a study backing this. Or does not typical useage conditions play a role?
Back in the late 1980s at Skyline J.C I took the continuing auto classes one of the instructors who worked at the GM school in San Leandro California had a night job.teaching F.I. and electronics , I knew this man for years I knew It would be a difficult class. GM was working in thinner oil for EPA CAFE and all sorts of things we are seeing claimed to be new today like the diesel gas type engines The Sky Active, turbos remember GM has a turboed Corvair air cooled engine in the middle 1960s. Fuel injection in the late 1950s etc. Pretty much everything is due to EPA regs. The Technology is all for mpgs, low emissions the Well Built engines for long smog compliance warranty. As a result we get 12 second 1/4 mile time cars that get 20+ miles per gallon with ease, Full size pick ups getting 16 to 25 MPGS with tons of towing power. I hate FI and the Electronics with a passion but their results are Staggering.

Did he also tell you about the 70-mpg carburetor "the man" was burying?
smile.gif

Ford would have to prove that the 5W-30 caused the failure that the warranty would cover ... highly doubt that's going to happen. Especially when they spec 5W-30 for the same engines in different countries. 5W-20 for the US is all CAFE driven.

The 5W-30 you so love is also "CAFE driven" all things being equal. Baby steps...
smile.gif

BTW, I use 5W-30 because that's what my car calls for, so I'm not knocking it. But see my previous post, you are not comparing apples with apples, the Euros have a completely different notion regarding oils and the OCI lengths generally speaking...

And I agree that there is no issue using 5W-30 in your Ford re. warranty, I seriously doubt Ford would even bother trying to deny a claim based on a 5W-30 vs. (not using) a 5W-20. But then again, they might not be able to even prove you used a 5W-30 to begin with because there is a possibility the oil sheared down to a 20W anyways....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

BTW, I use 5W-30 because that's what my car calls for, so I'm not knocking it. But see my previous post, you are not comparing apples with apples, the Euros have a completely different notion regarding oils and the OCI lengths generally speaking...

Ford has not changed the OCI interval on the Coyote they spec 5W-30 for.

And I agree that there is no issue using 5W-30 in your Ford re. warranty, I seriously doubt Ford would even bother trying to deny a claim based on a 5W-30 vs. (not using) a 5W-20. But then again, they might not be able to even prove you used a 5W-30 to begin with because there is a possibility the oil sheared down to a 20W anyways....

Wouldn't it be irony if you were using a 5W-30 oil in your Ecoboost and you had an engine problem and they denied you warranty coverage because an UOA showed the oil was a 20 weight. Never mind that it was a 5W-30 that sheared to a 20 weight, which is usual with EcoBoost engines
crackmeup2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey

Wouldn't it be irony if you were using a 5W-30 oil in your Ecoboost and you had an engine problem and they denied you warranty coverage because an UOA showed the oil was a 20 weight. Never mind that it was a 5W-30 that sheared to a 20 weight, which is usual with EcoBoost engines
crackmeup2.gif

Whimsey

This is the reason for records. Also nearly every 5W30 shears into a 20 grade. No biggie at all.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by jorton
Is there a normally aspirated, non- turbo model that's spec'd for 5w-30 in the USA?

My Wife's 2018 F350

Jorton

Well there ya go. This supports the timing chain post. I am switching both vehicles over from 5-20 to 5-30. Good thread.

This really does not make sense.

Well there ya go. This supports the timing chain post. I am switching both vehicles over from 5-20 to 5-30. Good thread.

It does make sense. I run 5w-30 in my 5w-20 Fords and have done so in other Fords and my UOAs always come out perfect!

Originally Posted by dogememe

It does make sense. I run 5w-30 in my 5w-20 Fords and have done so in other Fords and my UOAs always come out perfect!

So for that to be a valid statement and comparison, have you ever run a 5W-20 and it didn't come out "perfect"?

Originally Posted by kschachn

So for that to be a valid statement and comparison, have you ever run a 5W-20 and it didn't come out "perfect"?

I had a 99 Crown Vic and an 07 Crown Vic. Both had the same 4.6 engine. The engine is the same. The oil pump is the same part number. Same oil filter. Yet one said 5w-30 and 5w-20 on the sticker/oil cap.

No it does not. On your 4.6 it can run on anything from a 0W20 to a 25W70 and the UOA will be stellar. Your example if anything helps confirm Ford modular is a very robust engine and is very tolerate of multiple viscosity grades and will have a very long life and all of them if properly maintained.

I actually was just talking to a technician friend of mine today about this very issue and I text him this....

915C67B5-86AD-464F-8B4A-1D5799FF2A44.jpeg

Originally Posted by kschachn
I had a 99 Crown Vic and an 07 Crown Vic. Both had the same 4.6 engine. The engine is the same. The oil pump is the same part number. Same oil filter. Yet one said 5w-30 and 5w-20 on the sticker/oil cap.

And the UOA that wasn't "perfect" is what?

I am thinking about either the Ravenol 0W-20 DFE (IF I can get it anywhere), or the M1 0W-20 EP for the winter OCI in mine.

(I run the Ravenol DXG for the summer OCI, as per the sig.
wink.gif
)

I am thinking about either the Ravenol 0W-20 DFE (IF I can get it anywhere), or the M1 0W-20 EP for the winter OCI in mine.

(I run the Ravenol DXG for the summer OCI, as per the sig.
wink.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back