pure gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped at a Maverick station today and saw they have pure gas,no ethanol.
It was 40 cents more per gallon then the regular gas.
I was down to below a 1/4 tank and said why not.

Will I see any difference in my car or did i just waste some money?

You probably won't see much difference in your cars.
You should buy it for your power equipment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt

So i shouldn't take on a Vette in the Sentra?

During the cold months, there might be a greater chance that your car could leave you set because of water in your gas.

Originally Posted by marine65
I
Will I see any difference in my car or did i just waste some money?

Good question, keep us posted

My 2015 Ford 2.7 pick up gets 1 mpg better using EO I ran it for 2 months this summer. doing the math .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt

So i shouldn't take on a Vette in the Sentra?

I wouldn't say that. There's a chance the 80 year old guy in the Vette forgets he's racing.

Very little difference and maybe a slight uptick in gas mileage (1-2 mpg) for the pure gas vs 10% ethanol.

Last edited:
Theoretically you should get about 4% better gas mileage with pure gas. How it works in reality is a matter of discussion.

To fairly assess any difference, you should average the gas mileage from three sequential fillups with each type, and try not to alter you driving habits with either gas.

If you can calculate the MPG difference between Summer and Winter formulation gasoline, you might be able to tell the difference.

For me, the noticeable difference was in my truck, which would sit for 2-3 weeks at a time, and would run AWFUL if it ran at all on E10, for several minutes, until it got through the water/alkie mix that had separated to the bottom of the tank. Once I switched to E-free, those starting and warmup problems went away (with no engine associated repairs).

Lately, however, I've fixed the long laundry list of issues with that truck (it's a Dodge) and run the truck at least weekly, so phase separation is not the issue it used to be. I rarely put E-Free in it any more. Just a half tank-full when I make the last Outdoor Power Equipment E-Free gas run of the Fall, to help it get through the Winter when I use it a bit less, and water in gas issues are more prominent.

I always wonder about the E0. I would like to run it but it is always the off brand and sold from 1 pump. I wonder how fresh it is because most people buy on price and .40-.80 a gal is enough to discourage many from putting it into their car so most sales are going to be 5 gal at a time. I also wonder if it is getting the same detergent additives as the E10.

My Average MPG goes from 17.8 to 18.7

- a .9 MPG jump with 0% ethanol.

But, the extra $0.40 isn't worth it

So, instead I use it in my chainsaw, weedeater, seldom used other equipment

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Butt meter and better gas mileage.

Also known as 'Confirmation Bias'.

I just learned that term the other day in some training at work.

5 days on the pure gas.
My driving routine is always the same.
I see no difference in power,of course with a Sentra I didn't expect any.
I was averaging 35.7 mpg for a while according to the info center on standard gas.
Its been reading 35 mpg on the pure gas.
All in all it was not worth the 40 cent premium.
I really just did it on a whim.

5 days on the pure gas.
My driving routine is always the same.
I see no difference in power,of course with a Sentra I didn't expect any.
I was averaging 35.7 mpg for a while according to the info center on standard gas.
Its been reading 35 mpg on the pure gas.
All in all it was not worth the 40 cent premium.
I really just did it on a whim.

At least you tried. Some yahoo will chime in and say he gets 20% better MPG on E-0. I will let you know it is not fuel causing such an increase.

I filled up with good old regular gas today.
I dont think anything will change except I have $4.00 more in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back