2001 Toyota RAV4 air filter mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

just purchased a 2001 Toyota RAV4, 1AZ-FE 2.0 L4 engine.. A good service is on the way. But, thinking of replacing the air filter with something different, I can think of 3 ways. I'll certainly go with aFe regardless of the fitting I'll do.

1- straight panel filter swap (but it's like the aFe panels are light on media size)

2- remove panel filter, keep the box, and fit an aFe "build your own" big pod filter at the end of the funnel, with a custom-made heatshield

3- remove airbox and maybe the rest of factory piping upto the throttle body, and continue with #2

We don't care about additionnal noise. We want good-enough filtration in dusty areas, at least stock engine performance. Good looking is a plus.
Any advice on going with Pro 5R Solid Top, Pro 5R Inverted Top, Pro GUARD 7 (I think the best for protection but I'm afraid it could degrade engine performance. I need that low-end torque, it already doesn't have much) or Pro Dry S5 ?

Stock it looks like this :

TIA

2001_RAV4_Engine.JPG

Last edited:
Leave the stock air box configuration and filter. It was designed that way because it works and keeps dirt out.

Why are you thinking you want to modify? Not being critical. Just trying to understand your thinking.

Look up "Deckplate Mod". It is pretty big on 4Runners and Tacomas. Basically you cut a hole in your air box to fit a deckplate ($10-$20 at hardware stores depending on plate size), then seal around with some gasket maker to make it weather-proof. And now you have cold air intake ON DEMAND. Open the deckplate when you want the power and sound, but close it in very wet weather or long highway drives (for less intake sound). Just install the deckplate BEFORE the air filter.

deckplate.jpg

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Because people know better... yeah right.

That mod is good for 6.345 horse power and 2 mpgs at 8790 rpm.

Q
Originally Posted by CT8

You really think it's that much?

Originally Posted by Vladiator
Look up "Deckplate Mod". It is pretty big on 4Runners and Tacomas. Basically you cut a hole in your air box to fit a deckplate ($10-$20 at hardware stores depending on plate size), then seal around with some gasket maker to make it weather-proof. And now you have cold air intake ON DEMAND. Open the deckplate when you want the power and sound, but close it in very wet weather or long highway drives (for less intake sound). Just install the deckplate BEFORE the air filter.
wouldn't that modification allow hot engine compartment air to enter the air box? It bypasses the snorkel that takes in cool air.

Originally Posted by Vladiator
wouldn't that modification allow hot engine compartment air to enter the air box? It bypasses the snorkel that takes in cool air. It would be a nice mod to inspect the air filter though.

Originally Posted by CT8

Well I won't be seeing those gains my car doesn't rev that high. And if did I'd have real big problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

Man how fast would that be in fifth gear?

The perfect setup for stock engine performance with good filtration in dusty areas is the one in the picture you posted. That "monster" doesn't need anything freed up. Slap in a Toyota dealer air filter and drive.

I just did put in a new Mecafilter, they sells for €20. Runs much better but

The thing is that I like custom things that does not alter the performance of the engine, and I like the idea of washing an air filter on a regular basis instead of monitoring a filter that I'll throw to the bin each 10000 miles (what it takes here to clog because dusty and moist) But the aFe panel replacement isn't available anymore now, so going to the empty airbox route with aFe pod filter at the start of the tract or custom CAI...

The stock airbox is the same on the diesel version, I think it's not something that well tuned so?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rrounds
If your black intake tube is hard plastic / thick rubber that would be a good place to mount a air filter restriction gauge.

ROD

Any recommendations on gauges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back