03 Honda Element w/200k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, in the market for a new ride and have only $5,000 to spend. In the price range I'm mostly finding high mileage vehicles, so at this point its an attempt to choose something that I can expect at least a few more years of service out of.
I found for sale this Element which has quite a lot of miles, and am wondering if its even worth it if I can get it for the right price. Dealer asking $5,000, but I'm sure I can get him down on that.

The Carfax shows one owner, and long history of regular service and fluid changes. However, there are gaps in between records of service at some points, mostly between 2016 and 2018.

There are also three accidents reported in just a 5 month period in 2007. Two reports mention minor to no damage, one mentions " rear impact with another vehicle, vehicle functional".

Upon my inspection the car looks good, no obvious damage, clean interior, and seems to be overall well maintained. The engine sounds great, doesn't appear to be leaking oil, tranny shifts smoothly, no pull or vibration during test drive.

All that said I know this is a huge gamble, but I am desperate for transportation and am not finding much better in my area. If a mechanic finds nothing wrong would this be a bad idea?

Should I pass?

What kind of vehicle do you want? I think you can easily find something with much lower mileage for $5k. Corolla or Camry come to mind.

I had a 06 Element and they had windshield cracking issues as well.
I had the AWD version and it was super comfortable but very noisy on the highway and had poor mpg.
Like driving a box through the wind.

Unloaded it within a few years and the resale was great. I never liked dealing with the doors
in a parking space.

Seems like a lot of $$$$ for that old of a vehicle.

Not particularly picky, so long as the maker has a reputation for reliability (I.e. corolla, Honda)
I do have a toddler to haul around so safety is really important. Full sized sedan is mostly what I'm after, since SUVs and minivans are mostly out of my price range.

I too noticed the road noise in the short time I was in one. Thanks for the mention about the doors, that could be a real hassle at the grocery store.
It is a lot of cash, but honestly I've been missing a lot of work with no ride and desperation is affecting my decision making. Its been a dealt tiring chore shopping for used cars with all the crap out there.

Originally Posted by CARJ
What kind of vehicle do you want? I think you can easily find something with much lower mileage for $5k. Corolla or Camry come to mind.

Yeah these are my new beaters of choice. Everyone wants SUVs and these are CHEAP. Turn of the millennium Toyota sedans have some real quality, perhaps better than current.

You could also consider a real beater like a private party ecotec Cavalier or Cobalt from the mid 2000's for $1500 to buy you time to think more clearly.

The element is not a *bad* car, something of an ugly duckling that never found its market in the US. I would worry that you're paying something of a dealer premium which isn't great when money's tight.

Absolutely a Camry with less than 100k miles can be had for $5k or less. Hard to beat one for reliability and safety. They haul kids around great too. Would get better gas mileage than a SUV too.

+1 on a Camry. An '02-'06 can be had for that kind of money and <100K miles. My 'O2 is still going well at 274K miles.

look at that; in your neighborhood

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Toyota-Camry-4dr-Sedan-LE-Automatic/223228279838?hash=item33f9713c1e:g:Im0AAOSwH2Vb6fhX:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
I would personally keep the $5K, buy new nissan versa for $10k financed, your monthly payments will be low and you will have a trouble free new car. Nice thing is you won't be out 5K in one swoop.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I would worry that you're paying something of a dealer premium which isn't great when money's tight.
When I was in school in 2014 my friend bought his girlfriend a 2001 or 2002 Jetta GLX VR6 auto with around 200k kms on it from a dealership for $5000. It was the cheapest car on the lot. A few months later I bought my 2000 Golf 2.0 5 spd with 192000 kms for $1200 from a private seller. Her Jetta was in good condition for the age (did not know mechanical condition but it was a VR so I assume the PO dumped it before it needed the cam chain guides done), and my Golf was fairly beat. Looking back, the dealer premium was a few thousand minimum as you would have to be insane to spend $5000 on an auto trans VR6 with that mileage. It needed trans repairs within months, that dastardly 01M trans.

$5000 is a lot to spend at a dealership, you will get a lot more bang for your buck from a private seller. If money is tight do not buy a $5000 car with an auto trans, find any late 90s early 2000s Honda/Toyota/2.0 Jetta or Golf with a manual. It's going to be a hard decision to fix a $5000 car if the auto trans goes but the rest of the car seems ok. Cars are going to be a much better value than a discontinued Honda SUV with somewhat of a cult following.

The key to buying used cars is to check CL/Letgo/Kijiji daily and see what the market is for the model you want. If you do this, you can insure you are paying market price, not dealer retail. Then you can act quickly and be the first on a good deal.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
I would personally keep the $5K, buy new nissan versa for $10k financed, your monthly payments will be low and you will have a trouble free new car. Nice thing is you won't be out 5K in one swoop.
Having a car payment when money is tight is the best way to insure that money will stay tight until that loan is paid.

It might even be better to buy something in the $3000-$4000 range and have that extra $1000 to have as a repair fund. You can still find a good, reliable car at that price.

Originally Posted by khittner
+1 on a Camry. An '02-'06 can be had for that kind of money and div>

+2 or +3 or whatever... don't let the mileage scare you if it's clean & well maintained

Originally Posted by CARJ
It might even be better to buy something in the $3000-$4000 range and have that extra $1000 to have as a repair fund. You can still find a good, reliable car at that price.

That is a wise thing to do.

I would pass on the Element. Honda quit making them and I believe parts would be a little difficult to find since they are kind of a lower production model in comparison to a Civic or Accord. I would buy something more mass produced. Others mentioned a Toyota Corolla which would be a very reliable car and will last a long time. Not so sure with the Element.

My family has had a number of Elements, there one in the fleet right now that is in that mileage range and it is reliable. They have all been good cars...

Under the skin it is all regular Honda stuff other than body and interior parts which aren't exactly rare, you should have no issue getting things for it.

A one owner car with records is what I'd be looking for...

Good advice here guys, thanks. I've been looking in my area for a Camry for under $5k and haven't found much for less than $170k miles. I've come across a few '02 Focus wagons with a little less than 100k on the odometer and a 2010 Chevy Cobalt with 112k. Both probably more logical choices for me. I love the Element, but its more an emotional decision than a rational one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back