Rubber sole vs leather sole cowboy boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the pros and cons to buying leather soled boots or rubber? Can rubber be resoled? I assume with rubber soles they aren't stitched but are glued instead? As for longevity and repair does one Trump the other?
I'd like to get a pair of cowboy boots I can have for years and years. I have a wear a pair of ariats but I gather they won't last but a couple years or so. They're rubber soles so I don't know if they can even be resoled?

Any good boot guy can repair or resole either one - and even go back and forth between the two.

I generally replace worn out leather soles & heels with GOOD (NOT cheap!) quality rubber ones.

Just my preference.

If you country dance, you MUST have leather... rubber doesn't "slide"

The consumer MIGHT have the option between leather and a rubber / composite soles if the body of the shoe is made to a spec which allows it.
TRANSLATION: In most cases rubber / composite soles are glued on and any replacement sole has to fit exactly for glue to have any shot of working.
AND, frequently, when the sole gives out the abutting leather has dried out to the point where glueing on a new sole is a temporary fix at best.
CONCLUSION: In the vast majority of cases rubber soles cannot be replaced unless cowboy boots are of an entirely different family of shoe, which I doubt.

Congrats to the previous posters if there are shoe repair people in their respective neighborhoods. Good shoe repair people are drying up. Like competent sharpening shops, the few still around have many miles between 'em and aren't the bargain they once were.

I scored well at a SMALL consignment nearby shop where I found a pair of Acme tapered heel / pointed toe boots, in natural with subtle decorative stitching.
Add a Western shirt and bolla and I was the best looking attendee at a wedding not 3 weeks ago-and that includes the bride as I was originally and uniquely dressed.

If anyone traveling to NYC needs good-to-great cowboy boots at fantastic prices they're visiting the right city as the larger shops seem to buy up leftover stock.
I was in THE big (way overpriced), very famous Western wear shop in Denver (I forget the name) and they had a selection of very lightly used boots.
They were the only reasonably priced items in the store.

Whatever you do, do not buy ostrich skin cowboy boots. They're the ones with the wrinkly pimples where the feathers rooted. People will question your sexual proclivity. It's mean and unfair and all that but it's what'll happen. No red snakes either.

Originally Posted by ram_man
What's the pros and cons to buying leather soled boots or rubber? Can rubber be resoled? I assume with rubber soles they aren't stitched but are glued instead? As for longevity and repair does one Trump the other?
I'd like to get a pair of cowboy boots I can have for years and years. I have a wear a pair of ariats but I gather they won't last but a couple years or so. They're rubber soles so I don't know if they can even be resoled?

I noticed you capitalized "T" when using the word trump. Freudian slip I dare say.
wink.gif

Of course if you plan to get a leather bottom repaired … best to know where that's gonna happen since it's not a growing field … Our one and only (2 generation) shop closed down when the son retired …

Lucchese Boots , if you don't get their mid priced boots but a step up probably 400 ballpark they will resole them at the factory . I have many pairs and they only get better with age . No heel slip at all and feel like your wearing a pair of Nike's . I believe it's the Classics line you need if you want them to be able to be resoled someday .

Yeah … I met James Baker III on a BA flight … no doubt he was wearing a $400+ pair … LoL …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah … I met James Baker III on a BA flight … no doubt he was wearing a $400+ pair … LoL …

Well $400 is kinda a starting point to get a decently built boot . I'm embarrassed to say what I have paid . Paying alot for a boot does not mean it's flashy like a pimp on Saturday night , it's the quality of skin and hand craftsmanship . Side by side it's no contest .

Originally Posted by ram_man

If you ride leather sole is a must for safety, if you don't anything goes, whatever you like best.

I do not think rubber can be resoled . Rubber is going to wear faster. If you just want a everyday kick around that you don't care if it gets scuffed up Tony Lama isn't too bad .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I do not think rubber can be resoled . Rubber is going to wear faster. If you just want a everyday kick around that you don't care if it gets scuffed up Tony Lama isn't too bad .

Tony Lama is the boots (3 different pairs) that I had rubber soles installed on when the leather wore out

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Kjmack

Tony Lama is the boots (3 different pairs) that I had rubber soles installed on when the leather wore out

Good to know , did you send them away or have a local person do it ?

I have been wearing western boots most of my adult life. I have had both leather and rubber soles. At this moment in my life I prefer rubber soles. They offer better grip and a firmer feel (more supportive). Leather soles suck until you scuff them really well. Every time I bought leather soles I wore the boots out of the store. First thing I did was rub them hard on the concrete outside the store. That at least made them mostly slip resistant. The boots I currently have are Justin Stampede. They have a comfortable insole and rubber soles that are stitched on. I use my boots for everything. Same with my clothes. So buying high dollar boots would be throwing money away.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back