2002 VW Golf Tdi 195k, 4500 on Motorcraft 10/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wear metals are up again, so maybe there is something going on with the lifters. Very similar report to the last one with T6 5/40. I went with Motorcraft Super Duty 10/30 this interval because our local supplier messed up the pricing, and I got a 12 pack for 11.68! Seemed to hold up decent, but the metal is worrying me. Im wondering if the sooty oil is from the upgraded injectors, and this is causing the wear issues? The cam looked fine when I was in there over the summer, and lifters had no serious scoring, and which is probably where the silicone came from. The cam wear issue theyre mentioning is most likely the later Pumpe-Duse motors. I do get a longer lifter tap on cold mornings, probably 5 seconds on one cylinder, which could be adding to it as well. I refilled with T5 10/30 that was on sale with rebate from Amazon, Hengst filter.

mqFYEGF

P.S I dont know what Im doing wrong with the file upload.

Last edited:
ALH engines didn't have or weren't prone to camshaft and bucket wear like the PD BEW engines. You should be using at a minimum a VW 505.00 5W-40 oil. I used a HDEO oil in my A4 Golf ALH TDI and my engine was impeccable at 250,000 miles before the vehicle was totaled in an accident. My favorite oil was Mobil Delvac-1 5W-40. Keep the intake manifold and EGR system cleaned out as a preventive maintenance item.

Yes, I would try the Mobil Delvac 5w-40. If you're getting that kind of wear, throw in the towel for 5w30.You have nothing to lose. Check any connections between the air filter and the air intake. That's too much silicon for sure. Good luck. Looking forward to your next UOA.

Wow 13.4 cSt! that's pretty thick for a 10w30 since it tested as a 40 wt.

I wouldn't use the new Delvac 5w40 as it is a reduced ZDDP formula. Not sure if it's suitable for a flat tapper camshaft.

Ill switch back to 5/40 at the next run, probably back to the M1 TDT, just for science. Well see if that changes anything for the next sampling in another 10k. However, it will be another 2 years before that happens! Heres my cam from over the summer, you can see how it looks fine and no serious wear, so Im assuming its the lifters causing the wear.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u...-pic-2002-golf-tdi-with-195k#Post4799660

Intake manifold has been cleaned, at around 165k, and EGR has been turned down so reduce the sooting. Our commutes arent terribly long, mines only about 5 miles one way and hers is about 11, all highway for both of us though. Possibly the shorter trips are adding to the wear? This run had a 2.5 hour drive each way, with maybe 30 mins downtime, out to the Hamptons over the summer when I bought the E36 sedan.

Originally Posted by FowVay
ALH engines didn't have or weren't prone to camshaft and bucket wear like the PD BEW engines. You should be using at a minimum a VW 505.00 5W-40 oil. I used a HDEO oil in my A4 Golf ALH TDI and my engine was impeccable at 250,000 miles before the vehicle was totaled in an accident. My favorite oil was Mobil Delvac-1 5W-40. Keep the intake manifold and EGR system cleaned out as a preventive maintenance item.

My only concerns with this is that the T6 5/40 I ran at 185k produced almost the same wear numbers. The T5 that went in is HDEO, maybe Ill sample in 5k to see the difference.

My BIL loves diesel VWs, they have lots of lubrication issues. He never said there was any specific engine that suffered. To quote him, the oil pumps are pos and the engines starve at low rpm. Easy to lug them diesels, but they need to be driven at higher rpm. Can't remember what gets chewed up, but people that don't shift early don't have engines poop out at sub 100k mi.
Whether this is true or not, it would be easy (on MT) to see, just shift later in the rpm range for and OCI and see.

Two things to consider are the possibility of a stuck piston ring or possibly a leaking fuel injector. The ALH engines had their rings very high on the piston. This caused some issues when regular oil or 15W-40 mineral oils were used. A stuck ring could cause the high iron wear from the cylinder.

A leaking injector could also cause lubricant wash of the cylinder wall and also show high iron wear.

Your iron wear went up in a short period of time so I personally feel you have one of the two mechanical issues that I mention.

Originally Posted by FowVay
Two things to consider are the possibility of a stuck piston ring or possibly a leaking fuel injector. The ALH engines had their rings very high on the piston. This caused some issues when regular oil or 15W-40 mineral oils were used. A stuck ring could cause the high iron wear from the cylinder.

A leaking injector could also cause lubricant wash of the cylinder wall and also show high iron wear.

Your iron wear went up in a short period of time so I personally feel you have one of the two mechanical issues that I mention.

I am not really seeing any symptoms of a stuck ring or leaky injector. I get no cloud of fuel on startup, even after sitting for a week, and I dont use any oil in between changes. Like I said I do have performance nozzles installed, wondering about possible overfueling even though my IQ is good, and a lifter that taps for a bit before filling, so maybe thats throwing some metal in there on cold starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back