2 Utah Teens Steal Cessna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good story Kira. The difference between '72 and '74 was amazing. The services went from taking everybody in the early '70s to slamming on the brakes in '73 right after the Vietnam War ended. Massive pipelines were closed down, the Services painfully downsized, and the draft was soon ended.

I enlisted in 1976 and though I never knew for sure I suspected a few had enlisted on the advice of a judge or someone. At that time the services were being cut back drastically and enlistments were way down. It all changed in the 80's and leading up to today where the military is very particular about who gets in. It's totally different from my Time.

I think the real question is about the flight. Seriously, how many folks can just jump into a Cessna and fire it up? Add flight and landing and still have a plane??

Obtaining quality recruits for all branches of the US military has become a huge problem. They all are after the same small pool of young people that have the qualifications and desire to be in the military. There are serious recruiting shortfalls in the Army, and attrition in Basic Training and Advance Individual Training is just under 9%. Military.com had an article last week on the Army considering not issuing dress uniforms to recruits until they reach their first unit assignment. The cost savings for not issuing and tailoring 16,000 Class A uniforms for soldiers that will be in less than six months was not stated, but it has to be a large chunk of money.

Originally Posted by Tdog02
I think the real question is about the flight. Seriously, how many folks can just jump into a Cessna and fire it up? Add flight and landing and still have a plane??

Something like a 150 isn't really hard to start. The rest might be a little more dicey, but simulator experience, excellent weather, and lots of luck might come together.

I think there are things that can be learned here. Two ambitious young men get into a Cessna and off they go into the sky. I would love to interview them and find out from their perspective what they thought were the hard parts and what was the most unexpected things were. I think much information could be gleaned for flight training and certainly for pinch-hitter courses. Their thought processes of flying the airplane for the first time could be used by passengers that are forced into the situation due to an incapacitated pilot.

Clearly they focused on flying the plane. They had the ability to focus on the important items to safely pilot the aircraft. I'm impressed. I would love know how they utilized cockpit resource management and how they worked together to pull this flight off. I think all of general aviation can learn from these guys.

They can fly with me anytime.

Dave

Originally Posted by DrDave
I think there are things that can be learned here. Two ambitious young men get into a Cessna and off they go into the sky. I would love to interview them and find out from their perspective what they thought were the hard parts and what was the most unexpected things were. I think much information could be gleaned for flight training and certainly for pinch-hitter courses. Their thought processes of flying the airplane for the first time could be used by passengers that are forced into the situation due to an incapacitated pilot.

Clearly they focused on flying the plane. They had the ability to focus on the important items to safely pilot the aircraft. I'm impressed. I would love know how they utilized cockpit resource management and how they worked together to pull this flight off. I think all of general aviation can learn from these guys.

They can fly with me anytime.

Dave

Though I'm not so sure the owner of that Cessna would agree.

Originally Posted by DrDave
Their thought processes of flying the airplane for the first time could be used by passengers that are forced into the situation due to an incapacitated pilot.

Maybe, but a single engine Cessna without a variable pitch prop is much, much simpler than most of what will be found in commercial aviation. There's no second engine, no prop settings, flap settings are immaterial except for the most challenging landings; they probably didn't even change altitude enough to make mixture problematic. You line up a 150 right and have the settings just so, it'll land itself.

I didn't get the chance to finish my private license, but would have little concern trying to land a 150 or similar, assuming the weather were in my comfort zone. Tack on an extra engine or a variable pitch prop, and I don't have any illusions about being in over my head.

I agree with Garak. I learned in a Cessna 152. Something a little more complex like a Beech Bonanza B36TC might not have gone so well. Night all.

Yep, that would make me nervous. That's far from a low performance craft and substantially more complex, and that's still without extra engines.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back