Drilled the intercooler drain 2011 F150 Ecoboost,

When I was messing with my Navara (turbodiesel, I had it idling with the crossover pipe off, and there was a definite flow, and reasonable pressure when I blocked my hand over the discharge pipe.

Intercoolers should never be under vacuum, as you wouldn't increase the throttled volume by that much, or expose all those hoses to vacuum.

I'd be worried about creek crossings or the like, as water WILL get in, but a 1/16" hole in the bottom of a bucket will take a long time to empty/fill.

Great thread, and makes a lot of sense.

Could plumb something up with an inline cheapo fuel filter, but probably way more effort than it deserves.

Wow, that's a lot of junk. Well, it's "clean" junk, just water and oil, so it looks worse than what it is.

That was a lot of junk, and he said he had no stuttering. Makes me wonder how full the one on my 2011 was. I had the stuttering almost every time it rained. I am curious if Ford drained mine when they did the fix. Like I said, post fix it never happened again.

I would argue there are plenty of times there could be vacuum in the intercooler. When you are sitting at idle and snap the throttle open, the turbo is not fast enough to instantly supply boost. Conditions went from very small flow rate at low boost pressure to all of a sudden the engine is demanding full displacement. Until the turbo can spool up to respond, there is vacuum from the restriction of the turbo itself, the piping, and the air filter.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
I would argue there are plenty of times there could be vacuum in the intercooler. When you are sitting at idle and snap the throttle open, the turbo is not fast enough to instantly supply boost. Conditions went from very small flow rate at low boost pressure to all of a sudden the engine is demanding full displacement. Until the turbo can spool up to respond, there is vacuum from the restriction of the turbo itself, the piping, and the air filter.

Not that I can tell. The throttle by wire does not allow rapid throttle plate movement.

How is this not a problem or less of a problem on high boost factory cars like WRX?

It seems that the F150 would almost need a dessicant dryer on the intake to prevent moisture accumulation if one didn't want to drill a hole.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
How is this not a problem or less of a problem on high boost factory cars like WRX?

It seems that the F150 would almost need a dessicant dryer on the intake to prevent moisture accumulation if one didn't want to drill a hole.

Of course, some other cars do have this problem.

On the F150, I "think" this is likely due to the very large size of the plumbing on the intercooler outlet side, and the associated low airflow speed. 4 inch ducting is not required for 365HP. My Turbo S2000 with about 450HP at the engine only needed 2 inch tubing. Ford's "fix" includes reducing intercooler effectiveness, no thanks.

My biggest concern with drilling the hole is driving through standing water while the system starts to pull a vacuum. I know that it is a small hole, but with it that low on the frame, a foot of water could potentially do some serious damage. Does anyone else have some thoughts to add?

I've never encountered this issue on any of my diesel trucks ever. Every intercooler pulled (usually for radiator replacement ) was dry as a bone. I cant remember seeing this issue in any of my turbo gas cars either. Wonder what Ford and the rest are doing wrong.

So from my dstalogs, that area sees vacuum whenever there is a sharp crack of the throttle. If you suddenly go WOT, or if you blip the throttle rapidly while idling, there will be a pulse of -0.5 psi for about 33 ms of vacuum. Otherwise it is always under positive pressure. Even decelerating with engine braking will not result in vacuum at the weep hole area. It is only when there is a sharp sudden opening of the throttle.

I am wondering how much dirt and debris could be ingested in these instances?

Back