2.0 Four cylinder non turbo jetta any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at 2013 jetta with the 2.0 four cylinder with a 5 speed manual trans. Car is in nice shape and drives nice,the engine power is ok,but does require downshifts on hills to keep speed.

Other than that I like it,How reliable are these jettas with these motors? Anybody own one? This will be my first vw

A little slow but super reliable, I see these with 200K and more that are still running perfectly. Just use Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 a German Mann filter and follow the maintenance schedule for timing belt replacement, plugs and filters and it will wont let you down.

I rather have a little less performance for increased reliability any day,

Originally Posted by Trav
A little slow but super reliable, I see these with 200K and more that are still running perfectly. Just use Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 a German Mann filter and follow the maintenance schedule for timing belt replacement, plugs and filters and it will wont let you down.

I rather have a little less performance for increased reliability any day,

Exactly...the 2.Slow is one of VWs more reliable engines....it won't win any races but its durability is without question....avoid the early models (late 90s to early 00's) who had rings installed upside down at the Mexican factories and burned oil as a result...

with regular oil changes, the engine is one of the most bulletproof motors ever made

the pistons, rods and crank are forged

but it is a low rpm, high torque, low horsepower engine

I would buy it in a heartbeat

I'd skip it and hold out for a 5 cyl version.
Better performance #'s with comparable consumption.
Overall, a better engine.
You can find that engine in the Golf/Rabbit too.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

I promise you, NOTHING about the 2.5 is better than the 2.0, besides power. And that power comes at a price.

Stick with the 2.Slow, it will never let you down.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

I promise you, NOTHING about the 2.5 is better than the 2.0, besides power. And that power comes at a price.

I'll disagree here. I think the 2.5 is probably the most reliable engine VW ever made--and it's way more tolerable to drive than the 2.Slow. If I were the OP, I'd look for a 2.5L. The only downside is that it's pretty thirsty on fuel.

I think most VW owners agree: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5293903-2011-Jetta-2-0-engine-vs-2-5-engine

I can't remember the exact mileage, but I think I was at 130K-ish w/zero repairs on mine 2.5 wagon. A friend's kid has a 2.5 that I help him maintain and it's at 150K--changed a PCV/valve cover and that's been it.

Last edited:
Problem with the 5 cylinder is it has the fuel economy of a 6 and the power of a 4 with the weird unevenness of a 5.

The 2.0 is just 1980's slow.

If the 2.0 is cheap and you're okay with getting passed by a granny, it's not a bad option.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Problem with the 5 cylinder is it has the fuel economy of a 6 and the power of a 4.

I thought it moved around the wagon just fine. It wasn't actually that much slower than my Alltrack (until the tune!). But yeah, it's hard on gas.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by 14Accent

I'll disagree here. I think the 2.5 is probably the most reliable engine VW ever made--and it's way more tolerable to drive than the 2.Slow. If I were the OP, I'd look for a 2.5L. The only downside is that it's pretty thirsty on fuel.

I think most VW owners agree: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5293903-2011-Jetta-2-0-engine-vs-2-5-engine

I can't remember the exact mileage, but I think I was at 130K-ish w/zero repairs on mine 2.5 wagon. A friend's kid has a 2.5 that I help him maintain and it's at 150K--changed a PCV/valve cover and that's been it.

cheers3.gif

When the late Rabbit's were in production, it was the only reason why I was considering one again.
Far more reliable than any of VW"s turbo offerings (before, or since).

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
with regular oil changes, the engine is one of the most bulletproof motors ever made

the pistons, rods and crank are forged

but it is a low rpm, high torque, low horsepower engine

I would buy it in a heartbeat

I have heard that 300k miles is not out of the realm of possibility. Tried and true design. The 2.5 litre 5 cylinder variant, 170 hp or so (?? re torque) is more of the same, but does use a fair amount of gasoline.

Try a 2.5L w/manual transmission. Will put a big smile on your face every time you drive it! Wonderful engine, but thirsty in city driving. 20mpg has been my average w/auto. Also, timing chain. Drove the 2L Jetta before buying the Golf 2.5. I'd get the 2.5L.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Problem with the 5 cylinder is it has the fuel economy of a 6 and the power of a 4 with the weird unevenness of a 5.

The 2.0 is just 1980's slow.

If the 2.0 is cheap and you're okay with getting passed by a granny, it's not a bad option.

The 2.5 is a good engine but hard on fuel. with a 65mph speed limit its hard to imagine the 2.0 is too slow. Cripe my old W123 200D with 58 HP is more than enough to US roads and that's in a big car. Sorry I don't get the mentality of high HP in this country where old ladies with walkers go faster.

Most of the problems with the simple VW engine is the guy servicing it. Once you learn the small differences in servicing them and treat it right they are no trouble to own.

The 2.slow is a bit of a slug but doesn't have the carbon issues that plague the TSIs. It's a easy motor to maintain - it will take regular non-Euro oils(VW or ACEA spec oils are better IMO, but many 2.0s run just fine on bulk oil and filters). Just change the timing belt per VW spec, ContiTech kit is preferred(if you can get the orignal [can't say the name here] bearings in that kit).

VW heads go crazy over the ABA version of the 2.slow - it was overbuilt for what it was(oil jets for the pistons and a strong bottom end from what I've heard) and accepted boost at decent levels. I knew someone who swapped one into a Scirocco, it needed the Motronic unit, wiring harnesses and dash cluster off the donor('95 Jetta base model) to work and even without a turbo it went like [censored] in a light, 1970s era car.

Last edited:
2.0 especially at end years is very reliable and stout motor. The power not sure, I drive a slug 2018 VW Tiguan and don't mind it but plenty of low end grunt. So personal taste.

Last edited:
If it's mostly just going to be you in the car, why not go for the 2.0L and 5spd if you want it. It will be more than adequate.

My SIL had a 1999-2000 base model Jetta with a 5spd. It was the first model year for the body style changeover from the boxier shape to the rounder one. IIRC, it had something smaller than a 2.0L. 1.4 or 1.6 maybe? It was fun to drive for the time period. I recall finding NO OIL on the dipstick a few times when she stopped over. Still ran on and on.

Tough powertrain, neat little car, if you happen to get a good one. Am I the only one who finds the engine sound on these 2.0's kind of "agricultural"? The normally aspirated VW water cooled engines just sound rattly and nasty to me, 5 cylinder included. Run forever, just don't sound very refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back