Recommendation for a BMW MTF-LT-3 Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 BMW 328i - not in warranty.

The M/T supposedly calls for BMW MTF-LT-3. I think it is a ~7cST MT fluid. Most vendors are recommending ATF as a substitute.

I prefer to use a MT specific lube in the same viscosity range (~7cST).

So far, BG Syncro Shift II is the best option that I can find:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/792_spec-2017-new-pdf.168172/

The 2017 reformulation shows a viscosity of 7.11 cST, so the viscosity should be extremely similar to the OE fluid.

Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Originally Posted by edyvw
How about BMW fluid?

Supposedly it is only sold in 5L jugs, which is more than I want to purchase. I probably work on 1-2 BMW's a year, and this is the only M/T BMW that I have seen in over five years.

There are a few options out there. Molakule has a good list.

Is price a priority or just performance? Many of the BMW folks like to thicken the MTF just a bit and go with Redline MTL.

As for fluids in that viscosity range:
- Pentosin MTF2
- Pennzoil Synchromesh
- Honda MTF

Those are a few. You will find much more if you search for synchromesh fluids, straight 75W MTFs or 75W-80 MTFs.

Originally Posted by badtlc
There are a few options out there. Molakule has a good list.

Is price a priority or just performance? Many of the BMW folks like to thicken the MTF just a bit and go with Redline MTL.

As for fluids in that viscosity range:
- Pentosin MTF2
- Pennzoil Synchromesh
- Honda MTF

Those are a few. You will find much more if you search for synchromesh fluids, straight 75W MTFs or 75W-80 MTFs.

Availability, performance and price - in that order.

Amalie DCT fluid might work well in it. I think it's around 7.2 cSt.

Honda MTF-2 will probably be a good fit for your BMW.

Ask Redline what they recommend
smile.gif

7.0 to 7.6 cSt@100C versions (SAE 70W75) (About the same viscosity as the original DexronIII/Merc)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax
2. Ravenol MTF-2
3. Honda MTF
4. VW part number G052512A2
5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid
6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3
7. Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)
8. Pentosin Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)
9.0 Pentosin FFL-4
10. Redline Power Steering Fluid
11. RAVENOL STF

Manual Transmissions and lubricants

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
7.0 to 7.6 cSt@100C versions (SAE 70W75) (About the same viscosity as the original DexronIII/Merc)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax
2. Ravenol MTF-2
3. Honda MTF
4. VW part number G052512A2
5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid
6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3
7. Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)
8. Pentosin Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)
9.0 Pentosin FFL-4
10. Redline Power Steering Fluid
11. RAVENOL STF

Manual Transmissions and lubricants

Nice list
thumbsup2.gif

Oil filters are placed over chassis rails and crossmembers to help stop them from rusting
27.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Oil filters are placed over chassis rails and crossmembers to help stop them from rusting
27.gif

smirk2.gif
banana2.gif
lol.gif

Thanks Molakule - and others.

I just located this VOA of BMW MTF-LT-3:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2727993

The Viscosity @ 100C appears to be 6.1cst which is less than I originally thought (7cst). If this is still true, perhaps Redline MT-LV 70W/75W would a better choice; it has a viscosity of 6.5cst.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70w75w

I am assuming that all GL-4 rated M/T specific lubes will perform similarly as long as it is of the correct viscosity range?

Last year, I sent for a VOA of recently purchased MTF-LT-3 in 1 liter bottles for use in my E90. The bottles were labeled 75W90, which was different from previous versions that were labeled 75W. The 100C viscosity was 6.9 cSt, so the label was wrong. If you want a copy of it, send me a PM.

In my E30 manual transmission, Redline MTL has always worked well. Shifts great and has well over 300k miles on it.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Thanks Molakule - and others.

I just located this VOA of BMW MTF-LT-3:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2727993

The Viscosity @ 100C appears to be 6.1cst which is less than I originally thought (7cst). If this is still true, perhaps Redline MT-LV 70W/75W would a better choice; it has a viscosity of 6.5cst.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70w75w

I am assuming that all GL-4 rated M/T specific lubes will perform similarly as long as it is of the correct viscosity range?

Originally Posted by The Critic

Yeah, getting the viscosity right and the correct GL-4 are the focal points. Things get iffy when you try and start using GL-5 fluids in GL-4 applications and you don't use GL-4 in GL-5 applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back