Using the Quote Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed lately that many folks are using the Quote feature to respond to another persons comments. Often this results in repeats of long comments. After hitting Quote you can edit the comments of the Quote to draw attention to the part of the Quote you are most interested in. Just makes it less tedious to go through it. No biggie.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
After hitting Quote you can edit the comments of the Quote to draw attention to the part of the Quote you are most interested in. Just makes it less tedious to go through it. No biggie.
smile.gif

Sort of like this.
laugh.gif
happy2.gif

I noticed lately that many folks are using the Quote feature to respond to another persons comments. Often this results in repeats of long comments. After hitting Quote you can edit the comments of the Quote to draw attention to the part of the Quote you are most interested in. Just makes it less tedious to go through it. No biggie.
smile.gif

Good idea.
Or what I do.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
After hitting Quote you can edit the comments of the Quote to draw attention to the part of the Quote you are most interested in. Just makes it less tedious to go through it. No biggie.
smile.gif

Good idea.
Or what I do.

Yes, that works great, but what you would want to do is truncate that original quote to keep this from growing into a monster.
lol.gif

After hitting Quote you can edit the comments of the Quote to draw attention to the part of the Quote you are most interested in. Just makes it less tedious to go through it. THIS IS A BIG DEAL. Snaggle Rocks!,!
smile.gif

Good idea.
Or what I do.

Yes, that works great, but what you would want to do is truncate that original quote to keep this from growing into a monster.
lol.gif

Why are you yelling …?

smile.gif

My favorite is when people quote a post that has multiple pictures in just to add a 4-5 word reply.

Originally Posted by 4WD
After hitting Quote you can edit the comments of the Quote to draw attention to the part of the Quote you are most interested in. Just makes it less tedious to go through it. THIS IS A BIG DEAL. Snaggle Rocks!,!
smile.gif

Good idea.
Or what I do.

lol.gif

Why are you yelling …?

I don't get it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
My favorite is when people quote a post that has multiple pictures in just to add a 4-5 word reply.
Yep. That's caused by extreme laziness, I assume. It's also inconsiderate.

Otherwise we get the Twelve-Days-of-Christmas syndrome.

lately many folks are tedious.

Did I do it right?

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Yep. That's caused by extreme laziness, I assume. It's also inconsiderate.

My hunch was always "lack of knowledge" as to why many do it. They don't know they can delete parts of quoted text.

I'll quote the whole post if I'm replying to that individual person, that way they know who I'm replying to.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'll quote the whole post if I'm replying to that individual person, that way they know who I'm replying to.
They'll know that even if you delete irrelevant portions, from their name on your reply, as well as from the portion you quote.

How do people quote from multiple page threads?

I have seen that done but anytime I try, I lose the first quote if I go to page 2 or 3, etc.

If I haven't been on the site for a bit and see a longish thread, there maybe posts on the 1st and 3rd page that i'd like to combine in a single post but I can't for some reason?

How do some do that?
21.gif

That's a good question. Before, page numbers were real hyperlinks you could open in another tab. I suppose the easiest way to do it now would be able to open the whole thread as in the "all" link.

Originally Posted by irv

I have seen that done but anytime I try, I lose the first quote if I go to page 2 or 3, etc.

If I haven't been on the site for a bit and see a longish thread, there maybe posts on the 1st and 3rd page that i'd like to combine in a single post but I can't for some reason?

How do some do that?
21.gif

Click quote on something from the 1st page, scroll to the bottom and highlight it all and copy it. Then go to the third page and quote what you want, it'll show up at the bottom. Then paste wherever you want the 1st quote. Put your reply message between the two for the first one and at the very end for the second one. Can quote unlimited people this way.

Originally Posted by irv

It's a standard feature on every forum software that I've seen.... except the one used here. By standard feature, I mean you simply click the right button (usually "multi-quote") on each post that you want to quote and when you're ready, click the "Post reply" button and it inserts those quoted posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back