The Best Grease Line Up (for my applciations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is recommended in the cycling industry? I would think too heavy or too much grease might cake up the pawl and ratcheting mechanism.

There's general multi purpose grease out there rated for chassis, wheel bearings and brake use but i always like to know what i am working on and match up the grease that will be best suited for my application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
What is recommended in the cycling industry?
Phil's I assume, but in the cycling industry there seems to be a insane mark up for anything that is specific to bicycles.

I think it's generally frowned upon to put grease on the pawls, can cause them to stick. When I service mine I drip a little oil in there, blow it out with air gun to clean the dirt out, then put a few drops of clean oil to lubricate. Has always worked well for me.

Originally Posted by stoan
I think it's generally frowned upon to put grease on the pawls, can cause them to stick. When I service mine I drip a little oil in there, blow it out with air gun to clean the dirt out, then put a few drops of clean oil to lubricate. Has always worked well for me.

That was my thought on using grease. I don't see any harm using a sae 30 non detergent oil.

Both Shimano and DT Swiss offer application specific pawl grease. I've also used Slick Honey with great success. I've used these on the ratchet pawls as well as the, i dunno what its called, interlocking discs. The key is a THIN grease.

Originally Posted by buck91
Both Shimano and DT Swiss offer application specific pawl grease. I've also used Slick Honey with great success. I've used these on the ratchet pawls as well as the, i dunno what its called, interlocking discs. The key is a THIN grease.

The NLGI#0 is thin. It dripped off my finger when I went to apply it. There is also a NLGI#00 but I feel that would be too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back