Marvel mystery oil vs Rislone engine treatment opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have search every forum to find which is better for cleaning up engine sludge? I think Rislone has 20wt oil viscosity and contain additive like calcium magnesium and zinc and 11%tmp ester and marvel mystery oil is 5wt do not know ingredients. Which is better ?

Does it have to be only one or the other? Are these two options at Walmart? My guess is Rislone but have you tried a better oil/filter combo instead first?

I am asking if Rislone engine treatment or marvel mystery oil which is good. Both are available in Walmart and major Auto stores. I have tried pennnzoil platinum 0w20 and Mobil 1 0w20 high mileage wix or Mobil 1 oil filter for more than 2 years or 20k miles but my engine is making engine tick when accerating hard around 3 k rmps . I suspect I have piston rings sticking or engine lifters so I think so used mmo or Rislone engine treatment which will help clean engine and hopefully it will help my engine?

Both have been around forever. Rislone seems quicker and will loosen sticky noisy lifters where MMO is better at loosening stuck rings if its poured into cylinders and let set. It`s also a good top oil. I use top oil in aircooled engines which reduces the metalic effect in drain oil

Rislone fan here. I have had several engines with noisy lifters and coked rings. I have used Rislone engine treatment in both cases and had good results with one treatment. Especially dirty engines will require more than one treatment.

Also, have a look at the MSDS sheet for MMO. Not much exciting going on there.

Originally Posted by BMWR1150GS

Also, have a look at the MSDS sheet for MMO. Not much exciting going on there.

The MSDS tells you nothing.

The recipe is in the archives here.... it has phosphorus based anti-wear (AW) compounds in it.

Out of curiosity I went to Walmart.com and found Synthetic Rislone. It has Tungsten, Moly, and Esters. It's on rollback for $11.04 with a five dollar rebate. Not bad. I have no experience with this. First time I've seen this ester version. I doubt u need it with a quality synthetic oil, but every application is different.

This is for engine protection, not cleaning though! See post below.

Several years ago, Dave at Redline recommended people with sludge/dirty engines to run Penn Ultra a couple times before using Redline. The group V esters in Redline are great cleaners. I would run Ultra for a couple short oil intervals. Kreen is also great, but you don't want to remove too much sludge.at one time. Kreen is awesome!

I would get Kreen with a quality synthetic oil. Do you have any pics? We love before and after.

I am using high mileage oil for more than 100k. I am thinking if I go to no high mileage oil my can can leak oil so I don't want to go to non high mileage oil like pennnzoil platinum ultra or any other non high mileage oil.kreen is very hard to find so I am looking for for easy to find but not damaging the engine like mmo or Rislone engine treatment etc?

Originally Posted by Toh1
my engine is making engine tick when accerating hard around 3 k rmps . I suspect I have piston rings sticking or engine lifters

Are you sure this isn't detonation? Lifters are generally noisy on startup, NOT acceleration when oil pressure is high and rising. Piston rings won't make a ticking noise either. I say start with a fuel system cleaner that also cleans the combustion chamber- preferably one with PEA like Techron or Gumout AIO. Those are also available at Walmart and seems much more logical than an oil-based problem for what you are describing. It would also explain why your use of PP did not help anything. JMHO

Oh sorry when I started my car in the morning I have lifters noise. I am not sure if it detonation but never have check engine light come on. I just changed my oil yesterday so when oil is new it did not tick or lifters noise do you know what it can be ? I am using Techron or gumout complete fuel system cleaner from last 2 year every oil change.

Kreen. Auto-Rx. Don't limit yourself to Walmart shelf.

I am not sure a stuck ring makes any noise like a tick. But lifter certainly will.

You cannot fix everything with a pill. Maybe its time to diagnosis more. Check all the lifters, remove and soak or replace the one that is making the noise.

I'm using Rislone now, but only as a flush in the last 500-800 miles of an OCI in a car I recently picked up. I also will put MMO in it but only in the gas tank since I have have a couple of bottles to use up and see if it makes any difference in mileage, I wouldn't use it in the crankcase of anything since it has nothing discernible in relation to motor oil whereas Rislone does. I'm generally not a fan of adding things to motor oils that already have extensive add packs designed as synergistic agents. But I have used Rislone to quiet sticky lifters in the past and it is darkening the oil in my crankcase as a flush but wouldn't ever add it for an OCI as directed....

Neighbor mechanic buddy would run dino in specified grade a quart short and a quart of atf for the make up. Get the engine warm and dump.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Neighbor mechanic buddy would run dino in specified grade a quart short and a quart of atf for the make up. Get the engine warm and dump.

There are much better choices than ATF for a quick flush. In fact ATF will do little to nothing as a quick flush.

SOHC i-VTEC® Honda Pilot 2007 ex and using pennnzoil platinum high mileage 0w20 right now and has 300k .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back