Rolls Royce/Packard Merlin V-1650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend owns a P51 and had an engine overhaul with all of the major rotating and reciprocating parts being replaced. Gave me these for some garage art.

Interesting, lots of oil ports for lubrication and cooling, massive bearing surfaces and lots of lead deposits. ~800hrs on the engine if I remember.

Figure folks here would find this interesting.

merp.JPG

merr.jpg

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Sandblast the dickens out of those and use them as decorations.

And a thin coat of shellac!

WOW! I used to give away my old Porsche pistons back in the day, before they got so common.. Some used them for ashtrays..But nothing like this.

no media blast - just shellac. How old are those parts and the deposits on them???

Originally Posted by JHZR2
no media blast - just shellac. How old are those parts and the deposits on them???

total time unknown…these parts aren't condemned at each o/h. the deposits were from the last o/h which was over 10 years ago. the deposits are soft, flaking off the crown.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
WW2 - era engines were just so unique. Very cool

agree. the Merlin is amazing, but the sleeve valve Bristol Centaurus, w/ its valve gear train, is probably the most amazing aero engine I've seen.

Last edited:
Dear friends,
At the end of WWII a Mustang ( Royal Air Force FX989) exploded in plain air over Flanders. Last years our group managed to find the family of the unfortunate pilot and we made to erect the village of Anzegem a memorial stone for this event.
The last years we also were looking in surrounding fields for debris of this aircraft and already found some things. Above this topic are lookalikes of things we found. In this way we would be grateful if someone could ID the things.
We also found small aluminium tubes ….. maybe for hydrolic oil. We also found cupper tubes.... would a mustang have cupper tubes.
With thanks and regadrrs from Flanders.
Jef

P1130268.JPG

P1130269.JPG

P1130270.JPG

P1130273.JPG

Hi, not sure if that is a ring groove. id guess no as the oil control scraper ring and oil ports are above it.

For that brass knob, I'll ask my friend who owns a couple warbirds. I want to say it is a adjustment knob,,maybe for the gyro gunsight?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Sandblast the dickens out of those and use them as decorations.

Decorations like this project I welded for a customer?
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back