ford 7.3 rotella t6 ck4

Status
Not open for further replies.

3,000 miles of towing heavy and all of the above on rotella t6 ck4. Switched to Schaeffer's 9000 5w40 cj4. The ck4 actually did well, probably wouldn't need to switch to Schaeffer's, but going to run it to 5,000 miles now. Oil was in the sump for 2 years. Call me crazy, but I do think the engine is smoother and idles quieter with the Schaeffer's. Every gallon of fuel was treated with Cen-pe-co super diesel klenz. Wondering if that helped wear at all

It's my understanding that Schaeffer's changed their formula. Pending how old the oil is. Good luck with it. I'm sure you will have a great UOA with Schaeffer's. Never saw a bad review on Schaeffer's. That T6 did great for your truck.

Excellent example of gross under-utilization of lubes. Syns and 3k miles? Please ...

Ditch the additive; does not need it.

Run out the OCI about 2x or 3x, then UOA and see how things are.

Consider a 10w-30 if shearing concerns you; the lighter grades are largely unaffected by the HEUI and give the same wear protection.

Last edited:
Well I'm not interested in extended oil changes. Interested in the using the best stuff. Engine oil is extremely cheap compared to trying to find a truck as reliable as this one. My brother used archoil in his 6.0 and had great results. I said what the heck I might as well try it. I saw positive results, but not enough to use it again this round.

How would you know the "best" stuff from other choices? Just because a product was present, does not mean that product afforded the "best" performance. Never confuse correlation with causation.

Do what makes you happy; you'd not be alone. Waste is waste, despite your objections of it being "cheap".

Last edited:
I agree. I didn't post it to get shamed. I posted it for people to see ck-4 results. I'm going to do what I want no matter what. Hope everyone else enjoys the share

Thanks for taking the time to post the results for the CK-4 oil. I am sure there are some folks on the fence and this may help ease their mind. DNewton may be a tad gritty but means well and has some good data to share.
thumbsup2.gif
13.gif

Thanks for that jfairchild327. CK-4 oil works great in the oldest Power Stroke diesel so then it should work well in all of them including the 6.7 L. The CK-4 paranoia on these forums borders on mass hysteria.

Originally Posted By: wdn
Thanks for that jfairchild327. CK-4 oil works great in the oldest Power Stroke diesel so then it should work well in all of them including the 6.7 L. The CK-4 paranoia on these forums borders on mass hysteria.
I would not call it mass hysteria, I would more likely call it Ford talking out of both sides of their mouth and when coupled with the potential loss of warranty on a $60-80K truck, it seems prudent for 6.7L PSD owners to take a pause.

For clarity, let us review what Ford has done:

1. About 1 month before CK-4 oils were to hit the market Ford creates a brand new specification for Powerstroke approved oil which superseded the standing specification and for which there were no oils on the market that met the specification (at the time).
2. Ford would not (and still has not) disclose the test criteria for meeting the new specification and/or what engine parts would see extra wear by using CK-4 oils.
3. Ford then stated that CK-4 oils need to have >1000PPM of phosphorus to prevent long term rocker arm wear, but then proceeded to approve CK-4 oils that have
With all of that said, it is no wonder that PSD owners are confused and/or are overly cautious. As someone who owns one of these trucks still under warranty, I simply stocked up on CJ-4 oil and called it a day.

Originally Posted by jfairchild327
Well I'm not interested in extended oil changes. Interested in the using the best stuff. Engine oil is extremely cheap compared to trying to find a truck as reliable as this one. My brother used archoil in his 6.0 and had great results. I said what the heck I might as well try it. I saw positive results, but not enough to use it again this round.

You will find unless there are freezing weather starts you will find no difference between syn and "conventional" oils.

Call me crazy, but I do think the engine is smoother and idles quieter with the Schaeffer's. Every gallon of fuel was treated with Cen-pe-co super diesel klenz. Wondering if that helped wear at all

I thought the same thing about my cummins when i switched to Schaeffers from amsoil. Never been happier, my truck ran smoother and was quieter. Since that experiment i use Schaeffers in everything i own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back