Cut MGL4967 5067mi 04 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an old stock filter (from the O'reilly Mobil Super promotion about 6 years ago), it was in use for about 6 months. Made by Fram as you can see.
The ADBV was done, but it wasn't an issue on this car.

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

There is something going on with the end cap as seen in the last photo.
I would say it did a good job and caught all that crud.

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Never seen an inverted mounting base and raised threads

They didn't last long - - - people hated them because they were hard to get started.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Wow, that's a lot of crud. I guess age got to the ADBV and possibly the end cap.

The filter sat for about 2 months before being cut, which may have contributed to the crud settling on the bottom of the can and bottom of the media.
I see Corolla valve train pics in my future...

Originally Posted by Linctex

They didn't last long - - - people hated them because they were hard to get started.

That base design seems like it could bottom out on the threaded mounting spud before the base gasket was sealed if the spud wasn't really recessed well below the gasket surface.

Lot's of gunk in the bottom of the can. I would try to figure out how to do a flush on the engine to clean it out. Thanks for the C&P. Those Corolla's usually run forever if the oil is kept in good shape.

I could see that issue for sure.

Actually you'll still find the same design on all current Fram smaller filter applications including the metric thread 7317, 6607, sae thread 4386, 4967. Also used on the current Fram made Honda A02.

While I'll stipulate to a nitpick, not my favorite design. More exacting line up of filter thread boss required than recessed or beveled design. Most Fram use a beveled type design shown on all their boxes. Makes block thread line up easier especially in hard to see/access applications. It's also why ecores use the auxiliary base/tapping plate. Puts a cover over this design to allow filter base to slide on and line up with block threads.

Topic filter from when Fram had MGL contract. Been seeing a few older date filters posted lately. Agree that filter sitting two months before cutting open, could contribute to cruddy looking dome end. If fill hole doesn't have one of those valve cover baffles Toyota uses on some applications, a look down it using a light might give some indication of actual valve train condition.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Lot's of gunk in the bottom of the can. I would try to figure out how to do a flush on the engine to clean it out. Thanks for the C&P. Those Corolla's usually run forever if the oil is kept in good shape.

This car belonged to a friend of mine until 76k miles and saw 4-5k mile OCIs with conventional or blend. After that I ran 7-9k mile OCIs with synthetics, mostly PU and QSUD. The OCI for this filter was conventional, I'll be sticking with conventional for some time, as the car is being short tripped - 11 miles one way to work and short runs to parks or grocery stores; oil smells like gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back