Half worn quiet tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one have a set of tires that were quiet for their entire life? Like to keep this to passenger all season or touring tires.

I had a set of Eldorado Legend Tour tires on a 99 LeSabre that were quiet down to 5/32 when I replaced them.

after 5 years my half worn Michelins were still quiet. They were so badly weather cracked I had to replace them. Never again.

Rod

Michelins generally stay quiet, excepting the performance models or ones that experience odd wear due to outside factors.

Energy MXV4 and Primacy MXV4 are where I have my experience.

Have been on a decent number of factory tires that, while worn, weren't terribly loud, including Goodyear (Eagle LS and RSA), Firestone (FR710), Bridgestone (Ecopia EP422 and Turanza EL400), and Continental (ContiProContact, ProContact TX/RX/etc.).

Wouldn't say any excelled at much else. The Primacy MXV4s and FR710s struck me as pretty good for traction, though not necessarily at mostly worn. The rest are notable in my mind for poor traction.

Last edited:
I dare say the trick is to rotate often. That way any bad wear is snipped in the bud before it gets really bad. Seems that tires I've had on my FWD cars simply get loud if I don't rotate.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
after 5 years my half worn Michelins were still quiet. They were so badly weather cracked I had to replace them. Never again.

Rod

5 years, that's pretty good life. Mine were done after 3, half-worn but cracking. I guess you have to really drive a lot to get decent life out of Michelins, they age out super fast it seems.

Then again, I usually don't get more than 3 years from tires anyhow. So if I had only driven a bit more per year I'd probably have been happy. Go figure.

My Coopers are still pretty tired @ over 50,000 miles, and down to around 5-6 / 32. Not quite as quiet as when new, but not bad. Then again, they are only about 2 years old.

I think age has more to do with noise than mileage / tread depth. That and uneven wear.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr

Rod

My 3 sets of Michelins were all quiet too into their 50K-60K end of life. But the wear isn't all that great.....and the UV cracking is pretty bad too.

Another vote for Michelins. The MXV4's on my Pilot have 57k miles and only in the last few thousand miles have they started making some noise. Not bad for a grand touring sedan tire that honestly shouldn't have been OEM on a heavy SUV.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Another vote for Michelins. The MXV4's on my Pilot have 57k miles and only in the last few thousand miles have they started making some noise. Not bad for a grand touring sedan tire that honestly shouldn't have been OEM on a heavy SUV.

They must really play games with what rubber gets used on what size. My 215/60R16's on my wife's Camry were toast at 30k, Energies and then a set of Primacy. I eeked out 40k on the Primacy going into the wear bars. I gave Michelin one more chance with LTXs on my truck, those did appear they might go the distance--but weather cracked.

They were low noise and good in wet, even at the bitter end. Then again, even my wife commented at how bad the Primacy were in snow--they were better half worn than new. Car was simply unpredictable with those tires.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by mclasser

They must really play games with what rubber gets used on what size. My 215/60R16's on my wife's Camry were toast at 30k, Energies and then a set of Primacy. I eeked out 40k on the Primacy going into the wear bars. I gave Michelin one more chance with LTXs on my truck, those did appear they might go the distance--but weather cracked.

They were low noise and good in wet, even at the bitter end. Then again, even my wife commented at how bad the Primacy were in snow--they were better half worn than new. Car was simply unpredictable with those tires.

I believe the CrossClimate+ is available in your size 215/60-16
smile.gif

The CC+ carries the mountain-and-snowflake sign, so it is probably better in snow than a Primacy.

Picked up some Artic Altimaxes to try out this winter. Shop can't put 'em on for a couple of weeks, but they look like they'll work well enough. RT43's for the rest of the year. Heh, wife didn't want snows on her car this year--at least not until the first snow. Then it became a must.
wink.gif

They look good. Unfortunately I compared against the iPikes that i need to put onto my truck, and realized my truck tires are half worn! Ugh, every time I turn around I'm buying tires it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back