Lowest temp you ever started an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About -37C Mobil 1 10W30, no block heater. IIRC at the time 5W30 didn't exist.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
-33C without block heater. Oil was castrol edge 0w-40. Will post a picture this winter off coldest start up

Make sure there is audio..."rrrar rrreeaarr rrrarr rreeaarrr sqqquuueeekkk!" I miss that sound after moving. Lol

Originally Posted by Silk
-4 C, no idea what that is in F, I'm not interested. . . .

Agreed, we should all just adopt the Metric System and be done with all the conversions. Relegate Fahrenheit to the history books.

/hijack

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by Silk
-4 C, no idea what that is in F, I'm not interested. . . .

Agreed, we should all just adopt the Metric System and be done with all the conversions. Relegate Fahrenheit to the history books.

/hijack

Isn't it double it, minus 20%, plus 32? So, 24.8F? -8+.8+32

-32c about 5 years ago. 1989 caprice with 330k miles. Either 5w30 Pennzoil platinum or German Castrol 0w30. Turned a little slow but it started up as quick as a normal above zero day.

New record for me this year
-11C -
* Colorado had whatever Dexos2 5W30 holden put in it.
* Captiva Shel Helix Ultra AG 5W30 (Dexos2), 80%, Nulon 25W60 20%.

Prolly around -30F. Mid 90s Honda with some sort of dino oil in it. Kept the battery inside and took it out with me to start. Turned and burned.
wink.gif

Last winter around 0 to -10F

2017 Cruze Diesel, Never had any issues, pushed the remote start button and let her warm it up. I had a short drive to work back then, heater was plenty warm but heated seats helped a lot.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
-33C without block heater. Oil was castrol edge 0w-40. Will post a picture this winter off coldest start up

Make sure there is audio..."rrrar rrreeaarr rrrarr rreeaarrr sqqquuueeekkk!" I miss that sound after moving. Lol

Sure! ...‚...‚...‚

The back porch thermometer in Wyoming was pegged at -40F. '78 Chevy Monza 2.5 / 4-speed. Castrol 10W-30. Thankfully, I was using a 100W shop light under the oil pan (later replaced with a magnetic pan heater), an electric battery pad, a heavy blanket covering the engine, shut in the hood, and a piece of cardboard inserted in front of the entire radiator. Started right up. Shifting it into reverse was a different story. Like stirring molasses with a shovel.

-36 in January 1981, northern Minnesota. Mobil 1 10W/30. I had a neighbor who was an over the road trucker who needed a jumpstart to get on the road. I had a 1980 Ford van with a 300 cubic inch straight 6 popper. When I turned the key, it groaned, turned very slowly, and went bang and started. I was shocked.

Southeast Minnesota, 1996.

-40F

Was working 3rd shift in an auto parts plant building neutral safety switches for Ford and GM. My Saab 900 cranked slow, but started right up. Everyone cheered when the radio announced we hit the big minus four-zero.

Last edited:
We get a few days of -30C up here and i used to plug in my old 2002 acura RL. I forgot to plug it in one night and it started up just as if it was plugged in so i stopped using the block heater after that...‚. I was using pennzoil platinum 5w30 in that car till the day she got hit and runned in a parking lot
frown.gif

Coldest I remember was last winter...-41F without wind chill. M1 0w40 started just fine in my wifes car as did Valvoline 5w30 in mine. No abnormal behavior what so ever with the engine. The CD play was screeching and the climate control and radio knobs wouldn't move...but that's par for the course in those temps up here.

I see temps in the -30s many many times every year. We had a 45 day period a couple years ago were the temps never got above 0 F lol.

When it gets that cold...it really doesn't feel bad outside as there is generally no wind. Our version of dry head i suppose.

Windchill is the killer imho...worst weather to be in is a humid temp around freezing with wind...nothing will make you colder or kill you faster imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back