Factory Mopar cut open 3k

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
This is the factory filter off my Challenger, Puro made. I cut it open over gravel and dirt with a hacksaw so I introduced a lot of debris. Overall it's your typical boring Purolator so I didn't put much effort into the pictures. It didn't tear although the one pleat is a bit wider than I'd like. I'm a little disappointed they'd use such a cheesy filter on a performance car, but it did the job. The Hulk must have had the day off because it wasn't over torqued, came right off with a cup style wrench.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the cut and paste.

"Purolator, at least this one didn't tear"

How long to accumulate 3K?
You did a good job cutting it with a hacksaw, right in the middle of the filter. I probably would have hit a few pleats with the saw.

I think I'm going to try to duplicate what you did. I have a $1.67 Premium Guard and new-style $2.84 Supertech Ecore, from my latest oil changes.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, my 5.7L Hemi Ram takes the MO-899. I think of it as a mid-tier filter based on the Amsoil test data. Been a while since one of these was cut & posted here, back when end cap poppers were common from Puro but otherwise completely functional from what could be observed. It's my go-to winter filter in cold cilmate locales.

I've been using Mahle filters on my 392 Challenger. To me, they're heavier and appear much better made than the Mopar stuff.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

What did you replace it with?
smile.gif

You're welcome! I'm a Wix fanboy so I spun one of those on.

I compare these filters all the time. The Mahle filter has a spring loaded valve inside that the Mopar one doesnt. The Mopar filter without a doubt has less filtering media as the opening is a full 2" below the opening before the filtering area starts.

The Mahle is substantially heavier and has nearly twice the filtering media. It simply feels heavier and better made.

The only thing I dont care for is the fact that this particular model filter is made in China. Mahle, the OEM supplier for BMW, Audi and Mercedes, recently opened up a factory in China.

I'm running a Mahle currently on my 6.4L Challenger.

20181125_210127.jpg

20181125_210220.jpg

20181125_210229.jpg

20181125_210548.jpg

The Mopar MO-899 has that spring loaded valve at the base (threaded) end with an elastomer seal, also known as an "up front" bypass valve by some. Look between where the threads end and the element begins, as well as other cut & post pics of this filter on this site as well as the wider internet, for better understanding of this configuration.

Also known as a "base end bypass valve" vs a "dome end bypass valve".

Filter looks OK, even for an OEM filter on a performance car, since to meet warranty you have to follow the schedule, it wasn't destined to be on there very long, as filters go. Wouldn't bother me. Keep your receipts and you can put whatever you want on there, so no harm done.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

There ya go dishdude. Wix is a very good way to go.

And your car is really a awesome car. I think the Challenger is a great car.

Best I can say, looks like it survived the 3k oci. Reminds me of some of the MC FL 820 anecdotes.

As for the coil spring bypass comparison mention, as noted, the topic Mopar filter has one at thread end. As opposed to dome end.

The XP chosen as replacement uses dome end bypass, as do all XP/Napa Platinum. Saw a post use dissection of the 57899XP on the Hellcat forum, looked good. Imo, bypass location not big deal either way. Best information (pinned) says bypass events are rare, and very brief in duration.

Thanks for c&p.

MO-899 is standard equipment on Hellcats and Demons. I've found the MO-041 SRT filter to have hit or miss QC, lately (barely open louvers and gaskets with zero adhesion to the base).

Originally Posted by dishdude
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

Nice! Wix makes a really good filter for the SRT Hemis
smile.gif

I too recently changed my Ram's factory oil/filter at 1600 mi. I was also surprised how loose the factory filter and drain plug were. Ford, take note.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
I too recently changed my Ram's factory oil/filter at 1600 mi. I was also surprised how loose the factory filter and drain plug were. Ford, take note.

Same here, I did my 2018 recently and noticed the same thing. It was a pleasant surprise that the filter was not super tight. The filter location though, that's another matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back