Shell Rotella 5w30 Multi Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody!

I have seen that many BITOGERS recommend Shell Rotella oil also for gasolines, so I would be interested in your thoughts About SHELL ROTELLA MULTI VEHICLE 5w30 for my hyundai Accent 2008 gasoline engine with 110000 miles on it! Would appreciate any comments!

It's a CK4 , E6 SN.
Go for it as it has higher spec requirements over an API SN/SM/SL called for by OEM.
IMHO, it's as good a spec as A3B4 if not better.

Sorry for the side track but....... What are guys paying for this oil in Canada? I am still mulling this one over as a fleet oil for my Tb, 3500 and OPE. PetroCan has their Duron 5w30 E6,E7,E9, CJ4/SN for 6.72 before tax at the usual bulk dealers.

T6 5w30 doesn't seem to get discounted much. It's never included in the 18.9 liter pails that CT discounts at 15%. Only 0w40 and 5w40. There is a mail in-rebate available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Franz
I have seen that many BITOGERS recommend Shell Rotella oil also for gasolines, so I would be interested in your thoughts About SHELL ROTELLA MULTI VEHICLE 5w30 for my hyundai Accent 2008 gasoline engine with 110000 miles on it! Would appreciate any comments!

It would work just fine. Are they calling it ROTELLA there, or do they have an equivalent Rimula variant?

Originally Posted by BrianF
Sorry for the side track but....... What are guys paying for this oil in Canada? I am still mulling this one over as a fleet oil for my Tb, 3500 and OPE. PetroCan has their Duron 5w30 E6,E7,E9, CJ4/SN for 6.72 before tax at the usual bulk dealers.

You can probably find the Rotella for a similar price from the distributor. NAPA has it at a tolerable price (i.e. better than CT's regular price on oil). Blue Wave Energy, however, will provide it at under $7 per litre, off the top of my head. It'll be in a box of three jugs, five litres each.

Low Moly
15.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Not uncommon for an HDEO....

Just curious ...
are heavy duty oils incompatible with moly (ie cannot absorb it or mix well) or not much moly is needed since the oil is already "heavy duty" (whatever it means) or are diesel engines that much different that high amount of moly is not required or is moly over-rated in general!? I never owned a diesel engine.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
I feel you can get better oil OTC, rotella IMHO is nothing impressive

Nothing wrong with it but better oil can be had for a lower price and you won't have to go looking for it. I agree with Shug.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

Just curious ...
are heavy duty oils incompatible with moly (ie cannot absorb it or mix well) or not much moly is needed since the oil is already "heavy duty" (whatever it means) or are diesel engines that much different that high amount of moly is not required or is moly over-rated in general!? I never owned a diesel engine.

I'd speculate that because the HDEO have more ZDDP the moly isn't needed. I've also read that moly and ZDDP can compete with each other trying to form tribofilms. SoJ or Molakule could clarify this.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010

Just curious ...

I'd speculate that because the HDEO have more ZDDP the moly isn't needed. I've also read that moly and ZDDP can compete with each other trying to form tribofilms. SoJ or Molakule could clarify this.

I see. Thanks for your response!
based on voa, Zinc & Phosphorus level are not that much above the average either!
I am assuming zinc levels correlate to or are same as Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate.

Historically, at least two specifications found on some HDEOs either explicitly had an issue with moly or wanted to limit friction modification. I'm thinking of an earlier iteration of the Cummins spec and the motorcycle spec. The latter wasn't too common, but the former certainly was. Personally, I don't worry too much about specific ingredients for a fully formulated motor oil. If it really meets the specifications they claim, that's sufficient. The formulators know how to tailor friction modification and AW, and they aren't married to one specific ingredient. As already pointed out, maybe one of our formulators can give us a bit more information.

The phosphorus on Shell ROTELLA Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 is limited to 800 ppm because it's an E6 lubricant, and, I suppose, also because it's SN in a 5w-30 and the waiver is gone for HDEOs in 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30. ACEA E6, however, predated that rule, so even CJ-4 E6 lubricants had reduced phosphorus.

With respect to availability, this is neither here nor there for me. I don't tend to buy oil from Walmart anyhow, or even Canadian Tire (especially HDEOs at Canadian Tire since their HDEO prices are ridiculous, even on sale), so what they sell or don't sell is irrelevant. People can talk about Walmart all they like, but if the local Walmart doesn't have half the M1 0w-40 (let alone GC 0w-30) to do a complete oil change on any German car with a sump size greater than 4 L (i.e. virtually all of them), dismissing this E6 lube as unavailable is a bit silly, by my point of view.

The distributor can get it for me, and that's good enough. It worked with me for Delvac 1 and Delvac 1300; I never bought either from Canadian Tire or Walmart.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Garak I wasn't referring to the oil's availability in your particular case. Again this oil is nothing special.

How are you able to determine this?

Originally Posted by madeej11
Garak I wasn't referring to the oil's availability in your particular case. Again this oil is nothing special.

No oil is anything special, not even the boutiques. However, it has most things I want in particular, so was in my top 3 choices after I ran out of Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back