Just how dangerous is Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of quite a few people using the stuff hoping it will help with oil consumption. Most have shown no sign of any change whatsoever. A Taurus with a pushrod 3.0 L developed a pile of leaks after starting the Lucas diet, but I'm inclined to call that coincidence. The 4.0L Jeep seemed to leak from it's inexpensive and easy to replace valve cover gasket more slowly than it did with just oil. The Lucas stuff helped, and you can't pour a valve cover gasket in as easily. The three Nissans with 2.5L engine all started getting lots of sparkly glittery stuff in the oil with no other noticable changes. I think the additive stabilized the chi in the motor and allows it to take magic sparkly material form. Magic sparkles are good, right?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Lucas is a fix for a problem no good mechanic should have.

On the flip side:I haven't seen a lot of good mechanics yet (lol! many of them still resort to using useless OTC oil thickeners such as lucars, AshTeePea Red/blue, etc.)

Q.

I still have a bunch of LOS (synthetic) from my pre-BITOG days. I've never used it in any engine or gearbox (got smart since I joined BITOG within a week or so of purchasing it!), but it seems to work great as a crosscut shredder oil. I donate it to the office I work in, and we shred a LOT of paper since I work in the public sector.

I also use it on my garage door and bicycle chains. Seems to work well for that purpose, too.

?

so the 233,500 or so miles I have on a jeep cherokee is not attributed to somewhat adding Lucas along with the HM oil I use?

So I should just stick with the Vavoline Maxlife but not the lucas?

Originally Posted By: bob4558
I was at keystone nationals and i saw one of the top top fuel dragsters pour lucas in a 8000+HP engine!!!I use it in my 215,000 mile jeep for years with rotella 15w40!!!

See!!!! Jeeps must love LUCAS....

Must be something with whimpy little rigs that haters come out of the woodworks to poor mouth the stuff!

Originally Posted by electrolover
if you have alot of miles you think about a HM oil like GTX HM (or) Valvoline Max-Life Full-Synthetic.

I Second electrolover;
Oil's Today are Made so Well;
They Don't Need Stabilizers.
*Hint *Hint; If you change your Oil
Has Often has you should your Oil
WILL Be Stable!

Exactly, Lucas uses the slogan that "Oil Alone is not Enough" yet millions of vehicles have done just fine without Lucas oil. They refer to it as an "Oil stabilizer" and I have never seen any oil that needed to be "stabilized".Nothing unstable about oil being oil. Just Another expensive "unicorn oil" or snake oil" take your pick, product. Have owned several vehicles that have went well past the 200K mark "without Lucas or STP or Slick 50 or whatever, change the oil about every 5-6K and that is with regular oil not synthetics.Oil does not need to be stabilized. On a positive note ,the Lucas oil spinner toy is kind of interesting to give a spin very now and then while waiting for some parts.

Originally Posted by RoofTopPigeon
Originally Posted by electrolover
if you have alot of miles you think about a HM oil like GTX HM (or) Valvoline Max-Life Full-Synthetic.

I Second electrolover;
Oil's Today are Made so Well;
They Don't Need Stabilizers.
*Hint *Hint; If you change your Oil
Has Often has you should your Oil
WILL Be Stable!

Dude, you just revived a six year old thread
crazy2.gif

And there's nothing to "stabilize", and adding heavy Group I brightstock with some tackifier (a la chainsaw bar oil) certainly isn't going to improve anything. This stuff should be called "oil defiler".

If an additive "adds" stuff to oil, Lucas is a "subtractive"...dilutes everything that the oil manufacturer intentionally added.

+1
With winter moving in quickly its easy to tell whom might have Lucas in their engines as they are always moaning to start. I think if someone need a thickening additive Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver or Schaeffers 132 would be all that I could consider.

Originally Posted by Shannow
If an additive "adds" stuff to oil, Lucas is a "subtractive"...dilutes everything that the oil manufacturer intentionally added.

thumbsup2.gif

Some people just have to "ADD" something to their oil because they think the chemists, tribologists, and formulators just "HAD" to leave something out of the finished lubricant.

Such is the power of suggestion due to false advertising.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Lucas is great for one thing, stopping small engines from burning oil. But any such thickener will work. Lucas, Motor Honey, Bardahl No Smoke etc.

A friend asked me recently what Lucas Oil Stabilizer is good for. I told him it does two things very well...

1. Thickens your oil
2. Separates you from your money

It's just a cheap group I solvent refined bright stock that probably didn't cost them $1, and they're selling it to you for $8.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back