Mobil 1 M1C-456A

Status
Not open for further replies.
So first post, long long time lurker. Haven't seen a ton of threads regarding cartridge filters for the Pentastar 3.6.

Did my 2nd oil change since I bought the car used about 6 months ago. First change was to get out whatever Carmax uses and out in some Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil 1 filter. Fast forward 6 months and about 8,000 miles, OLM is at 20% so time for a change. Pulled the filter out and noticed it looked like this... that normal?

F143943D-CD2D-4DEF-AFBB-B6E287E95192.jpeg

Buy the OEM mopar filters, they are like $5 or $6 delivered on Amazon. And they changed the design of the filter around 13 or 14, so make sure you get the correct part number for your application.

There's been a lot of talk around this forum that some aftermarket Pentastar 3.6 oil filters run "a little on the long side"

I have an Equinox that uses the same style filter. I have found that almost every filter type can do this. I even emailed AcDelco and Mobil about the disfiguration when I removed the filters and they said it's normal. The only filter that that didn't look like this upon removal was the Fram Ultra. Maybe it was because they use a backing on the filter media.

The Mopar cartridge will still buckle. Even the Fram Ultra for the Pentastar buckles (NOTE: the Fram Ultra for this application, XG11665, does NOT use the wire-mesh backing normally found in an Ultra. Rather, it is a plastic mesh). However, Wix just came out with an XP for this engine, and the XP does have a wire backing.

I'd suggest the wire-backed Wix XP or Napa Platinum.

I use the Fram Extra Guard CH11665 in my '14 JGC, 3.6. They come out looking perfect. No buckling. I make sure it snaps all the way into to the cap before installing.

Originally Posted by jkasch
I use the Fram Extra Guard CH11665 in my '14 JGC, 3.6. They come out looking perfect. No buckling. I make sure it snaps all the way into to the cap before installing.

Please post it for us the next time you change your oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted by WellOiled
It is good to see new people posting. Thanks for the post. And
welcome2.gif

+1 Welcome Skippy!

Originally Posted by WellOiled
It is good to see new people posting. Thanks for the post. And
welcome2.gif

oops! I didn't realize the OP was new here, just looked at the post count again

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

Will do. Should be in a couple weeks.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

Will do. Should be in a couple weeks.

Here ya go. QSUD 5w-20, about 4,000 miles. I know, could have gone longer, but weather gets awful from here on in Michigan and lots of short trips. Anyway, no buckling.

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

Last edited:

Here ya go. QSUD 5w-20, about 4,000 miles. I know, could have gone longer, but weather gets awful from here on in Michigan and lots of short trips. Anyway, no buckling.

Wow that is awesome! Glad to see you have success with them! Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

I don't know if this helps but I have run Wix, Premium Guard, Purolator, and Denso first time fit in the lady's 2014 wrangler 3.6L pentastar
All of them have never had any problems....I do believe the 3.6 L pre 2014 is a different filter than 2014 and on....
I only run them about 6,000 miles max tho...sorry you are having this problem. Perhaps try another brand?
I was very pleased with the quality and price of the Premium Guard Extended Life.

I wonder if some folks aren't snapping the filters all the way into the housing's cap. I would think most BITOG'ers are doing it correctly.

I wonder if some folks aren't snapping the filters all the way into the housing's cap. I would think most BITOG'ers are doing it correctly.

I thought I messed it up the first time, so I took it back off and redid it. Was a little apprehensive at first about the cartridge style filters, read a few stories of people breaking them. It's not that bad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back