Dash cam recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kira
Doesn't "everybody" want/need the rear view too?

Good question, i don't know. The main use for mine is towing my TT. So many people pull close in front and hit the brakes, or fail to yield on exits. Rear view would be useless when towing.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Good question, i don't know. The main use for mine is towing my TT. So many people pull close in front and hit the brakes, or fail to yield on exits. Rear view would be useless when towing.

Well unless it showed the road behind what you're towing.

They are all made in China so pick one you like at a price you like. Glass lens and GPS, are my requirements. Pay attention to the mount and your location. After the novelty wears off they are just there unless you need to pull video. Some have wifi so you can connect to smartphone to watch videos or download with out pulling the card or cam. You need two one front and one rear. You will realize that if you only have front after a day or two. The split units with front and rear are not good unless you want to record your interior and face. If you drive a lot get a proper high endurance card for dashcam recording. The standard cards don't hold up well and many say right on the package not for security use or dashcams. They work fine until they just stop and you won't know it's not recording. The one you linked to looks good. I run 4k wifi front and a119s for rear cams. The rears I wanted tape mount, the front suction. Some have capacitors instead of batteries. Your preference there. I run both, the cap units have a battery too so they don't lose settings but only run a second after a power failure where the battery units keep going.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Well unless it showed the road behind what you're towing.

That would require a camera mounted on the back of the camper, not really going that far, would have to power it, and there is no rear window on my towable. You cant see anything out the back of my avalanche when i'm towing, only the front of the camper.

Now if i move to a class A later, i would do front and rear.

I'm using the Yi Mirror Dash Cam since this hot summer to these below 0C winter days. Not problem at all. The main pro of this cam is the design of mounting. It is mounted or covered on the rear view mirror. That means it will replace your rear view mirror but have the camera lens facing to the front. No more finding the mounting location headache or suction cup dropping issue anymore. It's dual channels with the optional rear camera. And WiFi for real time aiming and video download and viewing from the smartphone app.

Yi Mirror Dash

I have a BlackVue 2 channel (front/rear). Has worked great for the last couple years I have had it. It's pricey but the video is excellent from it (1080P) and now they have a 4K version. I like that I call pull up the recordings from my phone any time and if I keep it powered while the vehicle is parked at home I can access it from my laptop inside the house. You can get an auxiliary battery for this purpose or let it run until your vehicle battery gets low and it will shut-down automatically at a safe reserve power point. Or do like I do and just keep a charger on the battery when it's parked.

If a cam has gps, does it mean it records your speed onto the video?

Mine has a GPS and it does record the speed onto the screen. The feature I think can be shut-off in mine.

Whatever you get, get HD 1080 / 4K so it reads the license plates well of the vehicles you might be involved in an accident with. In-case of hit & runs.
wink.gif

Last edited:

It's rare to get rear-ended (without our vehicle being in reverse or parked) and be found guilty of the accident. Plus front license plates haven't been on Michigan vehicles, in many decades now.

Last edited:
If a cam has gps, does it mean it records your speed onto the video?

Mine records it in a separate metadata track inside the video file. But I think there is an option to include it in the video image, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back