Are semi metallic brake pads really noisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am needing to get new brake pads for the mazda soon. A little disappointed they're worn down as far as they are at 60k miles. My mazda 3 had the original brakes when I got rid of it at 115k miles.
After experiencing ceramic brake pads on my truck and they not having very good cold bite, I am thinking about going to semi metallic pads. I would get OE but I don't want to pay $120 for dealer pads. I keep reading semi metallic are pretty noisy and it seems ceramic are dominating the market. the only semi metallic on rock auto are $20 centric pads. i know I don't want to pay $120 , but I do not really think I want $20 pads.
My question is are semi metallic pads really that noisy?
What are some good pads?

Thanks

the cheap ones probably will be noisy and eat rotors, plus create too much dust!

You might like Raybestos EHT pads from Rock Auto.

They also have a set of Brembo ceramic pads, but there is only one set left!

If it doesn't have to come from Rock Auto, you should consider EBC Ultimax "Blackstuff" pads from AutoAnything. They have good bite bit and make for a great daily driver pad.

Pad quality (and cost) is all over the map, I wouldn't give up on an OEM chemistry based on one experience.

I'm having good luck with NAPA's Adaptive One pads on my Pilot. Good bite, quiet, very little dust. Mine were made in Canada, I've heard some are US made, if that means anything to you. There are other good choices.

I still prefer ceramic brake pads however, I look for a Coefficient of Friction(CoF) of FF. It's usually printed on the backing plates of the pad or laser etched on the sides of the pad(when new) somewhere.

I find that a CoF of GG just don't give me the cold brake bite that I am looking for(or hot for that matter), similar to what you are speaking of.

Many here at BITOG still prefer the GG but not me. Look to see if the pads that you're not so crazy about are a CoF of GG and this could be the issue.

I never had a problem with them. I spray Permatex Disk Brake Quiet on the backs of them before installing them. The product has never let me down.

There are 3 brake materials, organic (no metal in them), semi metallic (metal filings in them), and ceramic. Most cars on the market today and for many years use semi metallic. Of course many today are coming with ceramic. I've used cheap grades of semi metallic, medium, and higher end and have noticed no difference in longevity or stopping however I only buy now the most expensive of the brand I'm using.

All my rides use semi-metallic, and I don't hear noise.

If the shims don't fit the pad good, I will throw them in the trash. Coat metal backing with CRC Disc Brake Quiet or Permatex.

I have had more trouble out of shims causing noise than the pad itself especially the clip on type. Some manufacturers go cheap with the amount of attachment points on clip on shims. An example would be a clip on shim that has three attachment points, and it should have four.

I've never had a quality Semi Metallic pad (street compound) make any noise.

Cheap ceramic pads are awful. With poor initial bite AND less braking power. A double whammy.

I'm a fan of quality semi-metallic pads. Interestingly, my 2009 F150 Lariat 4x4 has smaller brakes than the later F150's. Yet it stops quite well due to the excellent (and silent) OEM semi metallic pads. I tried Bendix semi's and they were not as good as the OEM, but they were quiet too. The Ceramic pads came off the first week, as I actually went through a red light with a light trailer (SeaDoo's) .

186751d1339888542-brake-pads-master-list-hawks-jpg.179491

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1003-brake-pad-technology/

Last edited:
Been running semi metallic for 30 years with no problems and no noise. Traditionally ceramics need heat to start working. Operative word here is Wagner.

I've never had any semi metallic brake pads so I can't responsibly give any personal experience.

As far as "good pads" I only use OEM Toyota on all my stuff. I have only used factory pads the last 30 years and have never had a problem with any noise.
As far as the high price at the dealership, I'd shop around a little if I had the time. Prices can really vary...

As an aside (you may know this already) be sure and grease the caliper sliders. Especially if you are doing the brakes on older vehicles.

I've settled on Centric 300. series pads across my 'fleet'. Good cold bite and overall good modulation. They do dust, but not anymore than any other pad I've tried. No noise to speak of.

Last edited:
I run Pagid on my Mercedes. They squeal like a stuck pig! Don't buy Pagid brand. If you google it you'll find a lot of people have this problem.

Semi-metallic for your truck was a good choice, your Mazda 3 is different. Wagner Thermo-quiets (ceramics) would be a good choice.

Wagner Thermo-Quiet is all I've used for those 30 years and they have always been semi metallic. When my daughter bought them for the front of her Fiesta, and I looked at them for my 4Runner, they were ceramic (front pads only). She called and asked what to do (because I told her to stay away from ceramics) and I said I trusted Wagner so she put them on. They are working fine.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I still prefer ceramic brake pads however, I look for a Coefficient of Friction(CoF) of FF. It's usually printed on the backing plates of the pad or laser etched on the sides of the pad(when new) somewhere.

I find that a CoF of GG just don't give me the cold brake bite that I am looking for(or hot for that matter), similar to what you are speaking of.

Many here at BITOG still prefer the GG but not me. Look to see if the pads that you're not so crazy about are a CoF of GG and this could be the issue.

How would a GG have less cold bite than FF?

There will always be the chance of a squeal or pip from metallic brake pads. I've installed Wagner ThermoQuiet semi-mets on a friend's Explorer and so far, no noise but I've have that [censored] integrated insulator get cut by the caliper piston and make noise.

I've used PBR Metal Masters on my old car and while the cold grip wasn't anything to write home about, they were mostly quiet. PBR/Axxis Metal Masters back when Beck-Arnley sold them and Worldpac/IMC brought them over from Australia were the poor man's Pagid/Textar pad for BMW/Volvo/Saab/Mercedes applications.

I feel unless it was OEM supplied or you drive in a way to keep the brakes warm, stick with a good ceramic pad - the Mazda pads are pricey but I feel the Japanese brake suppliers(Akebono/NBK/Advics) have that down to a science. Try out Centric, Raybestos EHT/Napa Adaptive One or Akebono. I wouldn't bother with Wagner on a Japanese car nor would I install any of the Roulunds-sourced stuff from China or India(BrakeBest, WearEver, Duralast and Bendix are all the same these days).

I usually swap my semi metallic pads out for Powerstop ceramic's when it's time. They don't "feel" like they have the same initial bite (Powerstop z17 vs OEM on my Caliber), but after that initial second they're way better.

Whatever factory pad they put on the 300's though create a TON of dust. Gives my dark gray metallic wheels a nice bronze shimmer.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Whatever factory pad they put on the 300's though create a TON of dust. Gives my dark gray metallic wheels a nice bronze shimmer.

Common characteristic of German semi/low metallic pads. FCA has been using more ATE or TRW brake parts, and while the Germans are now having Akebono or NBK make their brake pads(The Critic showed me a set of Akebono-made pads with the ATE and VW marks on them) brake dust is common.

The Europeans have long been proponents of metallic friction but the tides are changing since the Japanese are now gaining European OEM business via buy outs(NBK and Textar/Pagid/Mintex) or partnerships(Conti/ATE and Akebono).

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Common characteristic of German semi/low metallic pads. FCA has been using more ATE or TRW brake parts, and while the Germans are now having Akebono or NBK make their brake pads(The Critic showed me a set of Akebono-made pads with the ATE and VW marks on them) brake dust is common.

The Europeans have long been proponents of metallic friction but the tides are changing since the Japanese are now gaining European OEM business via buy outs(NBK and Textar/Pagid/Mintex) or partnerships(Conti/ATE and Akebono).

There's way more to brakes than I thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back