Formula 4 Macau Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa!!! Dang. One lucky lady and one permanent video segment for racing incidents. And how do you think those camera guys dealt with the ... Incursion?

I was watching some of the prelim races and then saw it would be another couple hours before the main event so I gave up and went to bed. Kinda glad I did.

I could make a comment about gender and driving...but I won't. Most 17yo girls in cars terrify me on the road.

That crash looks like something that would be funny in a cartoon (picture Wile E. Coyote flying into the side of a mountain in his Batsuit).
But it was terrifying in real life. I would have thought she was going to be instantly dead if I hadn't heard she survived it beforehand.

I like that decal on the side of Sophia's car (visible in the still shot at start of video): "Dare To Be Different." A 17 year old F3 driver flying through the air backwards, and living to talk about it? Definitely different.

Hope Sophia and the others injured all make a speedy recovery.

Originally Posted by tcp71
I could make a comment about gender and driving...but I won't. Most 17yo girls in cars terrify me on the road.

You won't find a lot of 30 year olds in a feeder series.
wink.gif

Garak You won't find a lot of 30 year olds in a feeder series. [IMG said:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/graemlins/wink.gif[/IMG]
is

Are you invoking Darwin? Shame. Remember, Darwin had a mother too. Bit hairy and long-armed but still....

I've seen it mentioned that the chassis are all made by Dallara but I think I saw Peter Windsor say it was an original Ligier. Don't know the truth of it but it was a miraculous demonstration of "crush zone".

One last thought....this reminds me of that year that Big Daddy Don Garlits won the NHRA Nationals. Right at the end of the track, just before the lights, the car blew up and basically disintegrated. He always said after, truthfully, that he was the only man to ever win the championship by "crossing the finish line upside down, backwards and on fire"! LOL I love that.

Originally Posted by DeepFriar
Are you invoking Darwin? Shame. Remember, Darwin had a mother too. Bit hairy and long-armed but still....

No, but rereading, I guess I could have been.
wink.gif
I meant that the age maximum is 25, so it can run as a feeder series, rather than a retirement home for F1 drivers or an alternative for F1 rejects. That role for the retired, the indigent, the unwanted, and the unworthy is reserved for Formula E.

This latest wreck is yet another example of how women in racing will never amount to anything. Except for perhaps eye candy if their driving suits are tight enough. As most of you know I was / am one of the biggest critics of Danica, when she was around doing nothing, except wrecking top shelf equipment, on what seemed like a weekly basis. If I was unfair in my analysis, it's only because she most certainly was not alone. She has had plenty of company over the years, in the lack of female performance department. From herself in NASCAR, to Natalie Decker in ARCA, to the Camping World Truck Series. Where Jennifer Jo Cobb can be observed on an all but weekly basis getting in peoples way, and causing wrecks as she is constantly being lapped.

In open wheel it's been much the same. There has not been a single female who has shown ANY type of winning performance skills in F1. Either as a, "development driver", or otherwise. Susie Wolff, MarÃa de Villota, Carmen Jordá, Simona de Silvestro, Milka Duno, all went nowhere. de Villota ended up dying a year after suffering head injuries in a low speed crash in the pits after screwing around on a wet track. Wolff would have never set foot in a F1 car, if it were not for her husbands vast wealth, along with his advanced position in the sport. This is never going to change. You will NEVER, repeat NEVER, see a woman driver with the skill level of a Vettel, Hamilton, Räikkönen, Alonso, or any other male driver for that matter.

In 1992 Giovanna Amati, (who again never would have set foot in a F1 car if not for her families wealth and position), made three unsuccessful Grand Prix qualification attempts. Nothing has changed in those last 26 years, except for the fact today's women drivers are afforded much better equipment they can't do anything with..... Except wreck it as was again proven in this latest Macau fiasco. This time they were extremely lucky she didn't kill herself, along with anyone else. That wreck could have easily taken out several of those track Marshalls.

Through the years women race drivers have become perfect examples of the, "Peter Principal". They have all risen to the level of their own incompetence. And they have been placed there, (or pushed depending on how you look at it), by politically correct individuals, along with a society who seem to think they have no place at the track as grid girls, but rather need to be advanced into the cockpit. Where I'm sure they will remain until these racing teams decide to stop wasting money on them. Or else there is some type of horrible disaster that happens directly due to their lack of skill, and constant never ending mistakes.

Originally Posted by billt460
You will NEVER, repeat NEVER, see a woman driver with the skill level of a Vettel, Hamilton, Räikkönen, Alonso,

Never is a long time.

Originally Posted by Smoky14
As you can see Garak is a big fan of Formula E....I have the same opinion.

I think it's got potential. It's just a long, long ways away. Heck, I'm not even sure what the manufacturers are thinking upon entry. Are they humouring people or do they legitimately agree it has a future?

In 1992 Giovanna Amati, (who again never would have set foot in a F1 car if not for her families wealth and position)....

That can be said about 90% of the people on the Formula 1 grid, let alone those in any of the feeder series. Vettel and Hamilton wouldn't be where they are without their dads working like dogs and then the kids being noticed by deep pocket organizations. Max is there primarily because of his dad. Of course, those three are talented and deserve to be there. The system works; it's just messy as heck and leaves a bad odour. Beyond the top guys, there are plenty of guys on the grid or who used to be there who we could argue wouldn't even have a chance without the money behind them, and aren't necessarily the best, but good enough (after all, they got Super Licenses), such as Marcus, Lance, Pastor. Lots of even the big names bring in personal sponsorship, including Alonso.

Of course, if someone can't qualify in the first place, or is way off the pace, that's a problem. Jorda was, and almost no one will argue against that point, including other women drivers, hired for her looks. She is far from popular with other women drivers and regularly gets skewered by them in the press if her name comes up.

We may never see a woman driver with the skill level of Seb, Lewis, Kimi, or Fernando. You may be correct. However, they have enough difficulty finding men who can compete on an equal footing. Guys like these, their worst enemies are themselves - motivation under peculiar circumstances and mentality and age and bad choices.

Carmen Jorda is really aggravating to me, far beyond anything Patrick did. At least Patrick could keep up. Jorda is not even close. She's put women drivers back by twenty years all on her own. Those who have the backing but minimal talent should go to the Ring or Spa for the 24 hour races and buy a seat in GT Am.

This latest wreck is yet another example of how women in racing will never amount to anything. Except for perhaps eye candy if their driving suits are tight enough. As most of you know I was / am one of the biggest critics of Danica, when she was around doing nothing, except wrecking top shelf equipment, on what seemed like a weekly basis. If I was unfair in my analysis, it's only because she most certainly was not alone. She has had plenty of company over the years, in the lack of female performance department. From herself in NASCAR, to Natalie Decker in ARCA, to the Camping World Truck Series. Where Jennifer Jo Cobb can be observed on an all but weekly basis getting in peoples way, and causing wrecks as she is constantly being lapped.

In open wheel it's been much the same. There has not been a single female who has shown ANY type of winning performance skills in F1. Either as a, "development driver", or otherwise. Susie Wolff, MarÃa de Villota, Carmen Jordá, Simona de Silvestro, Milka Duno, all went nowhere. de Villota ended up dying a year after suffering head injuries in a low speed crash in the pits after screwing around on a wet track. Wolff would have never set foot in a F1 car, if it were not for her husbands vast wealth, along with his advanced position in the sport. This is never going to change. You will NEVER, repeat NEVER, see a woman driver with the skill level of a Vettel, Hamilton, Räikkönen, Alonso, or any other male driver for that matter.

In 1992 Giovanna Amati, (who again never would have set foot in a F1 car if not for her families wealth and position), made three unsuccessful Grand Prix qualification attempts. Nothing has changed in those last 26 years, except for the fact today's women drivers are afforded much better equipment they can't do anything with..... Except wreck it as was again proven in this latest Macau fiasco. This time they were extremely lucky she didn't kill herself, along with anyone else. That wreck could have easily taken out several of those track Marshalls.

Through the years women race drivers have become perfect examples of the, "Peter Principal". They have all risen to the level of their own incompetence. And they have been placed there, (or pushed depending on how you look at it), by politically correct individuals, along with a society who seem to think they have no place at the track as grid girls, but rather need to be advanced into the cockpit. Where I'm sure they will remain until these racing teams decide to stop wasting money on them. Or else there is some type of horrible disaster that happens directly due to their lack of skill, and constant never ending mistakes.

Says the guy who has never heard of Sabin Schmitz.
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back