Wet brake oil in ltd slip diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrl

I was wondering what effect (if any) would there be using "wet brake" type diff oil in a torque sensing ltd slip diff. Bad move, no effect, or beneficial ?

"Wet brake and differential oil" for a diff with both in the same housing. The oil in this kind of diff can get much hotter if the wet brake is used a lot.

Bad move, unless it's for short term temporary use.
Wet brake (Transmission) oils doesn't possess adequate level of EP additives for (hypoid gear) differentials.

Last edited:
Temp use yes. Was given the oil as a gift. Thought I'd try it as sort of a flush. After a bit of use will change it out again cause do have the correct hypoid oil as well. Thks for the input y'all.

That exactly does the oil go into a tractor or forklift maybe Air craft ground equipment? I have for years worked on fork lifts with wet brakes and have owned 2 tractors with wet brakes . To get as proper an answer we need a proper question. Usually the system uses shared oil and the differentials are not a hypoid gear arrangement and use a specific oil. While we can play an educated oil roulette some times we do good and benefit. Usually the cost of replacing components makes buying the proper speced oil a bargain.

International Harvester Hy-Tran fluid does it all:

Wet Brakes, Wet clutches, and hypoid gear EP

I think John Deere calls their version "Hy Gard"

Originally Posted by Linctex

Hypoid gear rated?

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Linctex

Hypoid gear rated?

Absolutely -- everything in the tractor rear-end is lubed with the same oil

I dont want to open new topic for that...

...can someone explain to me why is GL5 diff oil with MoS2 not suitable for LSD diff?

I did 50/50 mix with what was in it though (dont want to waste 75w140 LSD castrol I have on shelve intil I dont refurbish rear diff properly)...

Tnx

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
I dont want to open new topic for that...

...can someone explain to me why is GL5 diff oil with MoS2 not suitable for LSD diff?

Tnx

MOS2 is primarily a friction modifier that can interfere with and compete with the proper LSD additive chemistry.

Originally Posted by mrl
I was wondering what effect (if any) would there be using "wet brake" type diff oil in a torque sensing ltd slip diff. Bad move, no effect, or beneficial ?

There may be different types of clutching mechanisms involved which is why there is a specific additive chemistry for each type of mechanism.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

MOS2 is primarily a friction modifier that can interfere with and compete with the proper LSD additive chemistry.

Am I reading you properly? If MoS2 competes here with LSD additive...then there will be no harm... At least not in 50/50 ratio (I am asuming here that the oil that was previously in a diff was LSD one)

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by MolaKule

Am I reading you properly? If MoS2 competes here with LSD additive...then there will be no harm... At least not in 50/50 ratio (I am asuming here that the oil that was previously in a diff was LSD one)

The problem is MOS2 dominates even at low levels. Point is, you have to use different chemistry for different machine applications.

Every UTF I have ever seen or used is rated GL4. You need a GL5 rated fluid.

Tractors do not use a hypoid differential gear set.

I believe the problem with MOS2 is that it will embed in the friction material and modify the characteristics causing the LSD to perform differently than designed.

Myself I would never use it in a differential spec'ing an EP lube not even for a minute. If it were OK for an EP lube do you think Case IH would still sell an EP 80/90 lube?

Originally Posted by Fred_Garvin
I believe the problem with MOS2 is that it will embed in the friction material and modify the characteristics causing the LSD to perform differently than designed.

+1
MoS2 is solely about friction reduction.
LSD additives is not. It's about achieving desired ratio of dynamic coefficients of friction to static coefficients of friction.
Both are friction modifiers ,though.

Last edited:
Tnx....I need 3 quarts of that full synthetic XWXX oil
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back