Angle grinder wheel that grinds screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I'm working on a project, a heavy wood box with internal bracing. The internal braces that I used are oversized, I used 2x4s as it's what I had on hand that make a full cubic frame.

It's incredibly strong - glued and screwed together. But also really heavy. To the point that I'd like to lighten it up.

Since it's fully assembled with outer walls, accessing the interior is tough. I have one side that was never affixed.

I'd like to remove some material from inside, from the 2x4s. But they have long screws through them. Can't easily sawsall, oscillating tool is too slow. Was thinking an angle grinder, perhaps using something like a masonry grinding wheel. Just shave down the wood and attack any screw tips if I should encounter them.

Any thoughts on what to use?

Thanks!!

Man, that sounds like a lot of work and time. I would consider remaking it with poplar. Box joints.

Last edited:
Remaking sounds like more time and effort. Plus wasted material. I want it to be strong, just maybe not quite so heavy.

Well you could stick a Lancelot disk on your grinder. That would eat the wood like a chainsaw. . Not sure how one of those would deal with screws though. You might have to hit those with a regular grinding disk.as you go along.

Last edited:
man, that's a tricky one. Lancelot blades are downright dangerous on a metal screw in my experience--and anytime I've used a regular grinding wheel on a wood/metal sandwich, I feel like I'm seconds away from burning down my house... Whatever you do, be careful!

Originally Posted by JOD
man, that's a tricky one. Lancelot blades are downright dangerous on a metal screw in my experience--and anytime I've used a regular grinding wheel on a wood/metal sandwich, I feel like I'm seconds away from burning down my house... Whatever you do, be careful!

I've hogged out a lot of wood with heavy grinding disks. All it makes is lots of smoke and leaves the wood blackened. No biggie . The skilsaw works too much faster and neater. Just use a old carbide blade. Toss on a shield instead of safety glasses or both and and gloves,just do it. You can even take it down in small stages till you start seeing nails, work around them then go back and grind em off later on. It's all doable .

Originally Posted by Kira
What are the box's outer dimensions?

Why did it need to be so strong?

I'm betting its a workout/step box for fitness. I seem to remember the op posting some time back about making one.

How much weight are you trying to save? What is the rest of the box made out of and what are the dimensions? Even of. 2*4 was ripped in half on a table saw unless you that box is 20 ft long, I cannot see you making that large of a difference weight wise.

I'm picturing a wall framed 16 inches on center and hammered in between the joists and subfloor and I don't see a huge amount of weight on that entire structure.

MDF is another thing.

Any pictures of this beast you built?

How much weight are you trying to save? What is the rest of the box made out of and what are the dimensions? Even of. 2*4 was ripped in half on a table saw unless you that box is 20 ft long, I cannot see you making that large of a difference weight wise.

I'm picturing a wall framed 16 inches on center and hammered in between the joists and subfloor and I don't see a huge amount of weight on that entire structure.

MDF is another thing.

Any pictures of this beast you built?

As someone stated, exercise box with storage inside. Suitable as a plyometric box with >200lb people jumping on it.

2x2.5x3' or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back