Did Ford Backspec 5w30 from 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Ford Backspec 5w30 from 5w20 ? I remember reading this a while back here...is thjs true ? Does this apply to all engines?

In certain applications they did. It was posted here a while back. Not sure exactly what engines it applied to though.

I know with half ton trucks that the "eco boost"TgDI versions went to 5w30.

The Coyote stayed with 5w20

Not sure about the v6

Last edited:
All ecoboost engines except the 1.0, I believe. It is still 5w20 which may be due to the timing belt (yes, belt) being in the oil.

M1 0-20 is my choice regardless of what Ford says.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
Did Ford Backspec 5w30 from 5w20 ? I remember reading this a while back here...is thjs true ? Does this apply to all engines?

In a very chosen few applications.

Originally Posted by tig1
M1 0-20 is my choice regardless of what Ford says.
smirk2.gif

"...except if I owned an EcoBoost where Ford spec'd 5W-30"
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by tcp71
All ecoboost engines except the 1.0, I believe. It is still 5w20 which may be due to the timing belt (yes, belt) being in the oil.

A belt in oil?!

Oil belt

Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by tcp71

A belt in oil?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eddy21
Euro spec is 5-30 , 5-20 is for EPA mileage boost .

Do you have a study backing this. Or does not typical useage conditions play a role?

My personal opinion is Ford designs everything for 5W-20, but the EB's were shearing 5W-20 down to damaging levels quickly and causing warranty claims that cost money.

So they back spec'd them to 5W-30 so they would end up shearing back to a 5W-20 quickly anyway.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd be running 5W30 regardless of what Ford says.
wink.gif

Yeah me too demarpaint.

I use 5W-30 in my 2018 Mustang GT and all my other Fords (2000, 2010 4.6 V-8s). 20 may be good for the great north country but we have a mild climate here in the central/southern part of VA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BobThe
My personal opinion is Ford designs everything for 5W-20, but the EB's were shearing 5W-20 down to damaging levels quickly and causing warranty claims that cost money.

So they back spec'd them to 5W-30 so they would end up shearing back to a 5W-20 quickly anyway.

Ford never Back specced the Ecoboost 3.5 to 5w30. The F150 ALWAYS was 5w30. Early 2009 and all 2010 AWD's got 5w20 in the transverse vehicles (SHO, MKT, MKS, Flex). They never got back-specced to 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back