Weathertech floor mats worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have given several WT sets away for Christmas and told it was one of the best gifts they had ever received …
And will be with them a long time …

As for fit … the GM aftermarket mats (3 rows) in the Tahoe are the best fit and color match I have ever seen …

I have the WT digital floor liner in the rear (kid's seats) of our Range Rover. Excellent product; perfect fit, covers more than the OEM mats and the color is an almost perfect match to the car. Pricey, but worth it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Look at Husky mats too. Our Fusion came with factory all-weather mats but they are TINY (I suspect this is because of lawsuits in the past, specifically Toyota, about floor mats that interfered with the gas and brake pedals - same reason they all have mounting hooks to hold them in place now). I looked at Husky and Weathertech but a) the Weathertech were about 40% more expensive and b) covered less area.

Husky mats are made in the US too.

I think you are EXACTLY right about those mats interfering with gas and or brake pedal... I actually had that happen to me one time driving and figured it quite quickly... And having 35 inch long arms came in handy then for sure
lol.gif

I only have experience with Weathertechs in our minivan. All the prior vehicles I used rubber aftermarket floor mats. They did OK, but after each winter there was a nice layer of white salt around the parameter of the mat.
I got the weathertechs for our minivan and they are great, especially with kids. Definitely worth it, especially during winter. I had aboslutley no salt residue left on the carpets with weathertechs.

I looked at Husky liners and actually liked them better because the second and third row pieces were separate, making it easier to stow the second row, or access the storage space when the seats are up, but I could not find them for my car at the time.

Last edited:
How old are the Maxspider mats? They do look good but they're made of a strange material and I've read from more than one person that they wear thin in spots where your for rests for extended times.

I just got a set of 2 Motomaster Winter Mats for $9.99 on Red Thursday / Black Friday sale. They aren't bad quality at all. Trimmed them to fit the Caravan.
Can't beat $9.99 CDN. (About $7 USD) for 2 mats!! A heck of a lot cheaper than Weather Tech.

I think these are the same as the ones in my beater Neon came with when I bought it used, and they were like 20 years old when we scrapped the vehicle so even if they only last a couple of years it was worth it.
grin2.gif

They have the grippers on the back to dig into the carpet to stop them from shifting around and I poked a hole in the drivers to hook it on the safety hook in the floor.

For the Canucks: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-multi-season-floor-mat-2-pc-0312507p.html#srp
08.gif

(031-2507-0)

My store had a skid of at least 100 of them all piled up near Automotive Service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
Those CT ones were a staple in the taxis, combined with a cut piece of carpet. We had a bajillion of those cut pieces so some would hang to dry and fresh ones would go in.

I want a wooden bead seat thingy all the cabby's used to have.
lol.gif

I had a set that was 10 years old that held up great. I pulled them out of my 08 Tacoma when I traded it in 2010 for another Tacoma. I just traded the '10 in May, they went with the truck, still looking great. Both trucks had light gray carpet, that still looked like new under and around the mats. They did their job, and did it well. If the OEM all weather mats in my 4runner don't contain the slop this winter, I'll be putting weathertechs in.

I put a WT liner in the i3; absolutely no complaints. I installed the Mini accessory liners in the Clubman.

I like the WT ones I have, they are not the laser cut but are a heavy rubber. The one thing I was after was a rubber matt that stayed playable in the winter so they would stay put.

If you want to clean rubber matts I suggest the Maguire's #39, leaves absolutely no residue and brings back the tackiness like new.

Originally Posted by TmanP
My dad has a black set, and they hold onto road salt/sand like you wouldn't believe. They're very very tough to clean and look terrible if even a little dirty.

This ^. I've owned 5 sets over the years in black and brown and while they protect and contain water and debris very well, cleaning them with the intent of getting them somewhat back to new is futile for me. I've tried a number of cleaners, revitalizers etc to no avail. Even so I'll continue to purchase in the future due to the protection and coverage they provide.

I had Weathertech liners in our 07 Toyota Sienna and 2011 Ford F-150. They were fine, but I prefer Husky now. I have Husky Weatherbeater liners in our Toyota RAV4 and Husky Xact Contour liners in the 2018 F150. The Xact Contour liners in particular are just outstanding and far superior to the Weathertech liners in my opinion. They're soft, supple rubber, fit perfectly and clean up well.

As an aside, I don't know how people can be so anal about oil and maintenance to the point that they "test" all types of expensive boutique oils and filters, install bypass oil filtration and pay for UOAs in regular run of the mill vehicles yet won't spend a few bucks on an item that keeps the interior of the vehicle looking new for years. I guess we all have different priorities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I want a wooden bead seat thingy all the cabby's used to have.
lol.gif

Don't remind me. They're actually surprisingly comfortable, but there's one downside. What do you think happens when the string lattice in those bead seats starts to come apart?
wink.gif
When it starts to happen, the best advice I can give is throw the darned thing out very quickly.

For mats, I had early Weathertechs for my Lightning, and did like them there. I can get them for my G37; I've been lazy. I was interested in the Husky ones, but they unfortunately don't make a set for the G. The Weathertechs would have been a nice thing for the taxis just on durability and ease of just hosing them down, alone. I don't recall them being around that far back, though.

Originally Posted by Uregina09

As an aside, I don't know how people can be so anal about oil and maintenance to the point that they "test" all types of expensive boutique oils and filters, install bypass oil filtration and pay for UOAs in regular run of the mill vehicles yet won't spend a few bucks on an item that keeps the interior of the vehicle looking new for years. I guess we all have different priorities.

I remember one guy on BITOG who practically bragged that his kids trashed his car interiors and he even said that he joined in the "fun." I replied that having a car interior that looked like a garbage bin was not my idea of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back