Broken spark plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the process of testing a replacement engine that came from the rust belt when a spark plug broke off flush with the head.

I got the porcelain out in one piece but now I'm fighting to get the threaded portion out. I've soaked it like mad with liquid wrench and tried using Mapp Gas on it but I'm worried about the flame shooting down inside the cylinder or damaging the bolt/gasket.

Got it out with an ez extract.

2006 Grand Prix 3800 engine

Last edited:
After The plug broke I cleared all the debris around the hole and was careful clear the small fragments of porcelain from the plug thread/prong after pulling the porcelain out. I just gave the remaining porcelain a quick tap with a hammer and screwdriver and it popped loose all as one piece with no fragmentation.

Compression checks out, two cylinders and 190psi and the other four 210 psi dry test. Added oil to the lower reading cylinders and barely got a 10 psi increase. All ready for install.

Last edited:
I'll vacuum just to make sure but any small fragments would've came out of the exhaust. When I jump started the starter solenoid you could see moisture puffing out of the exhaust manifold.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll bet you put some antisieze in the new ones.
smile.gif

what brand were the originals?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I'll bet you put some antisieze in the new ones.
smile.gif

what brand were the originals?

The old ones had anti sieze on them, this one plug just had rust encircling the plug where it met the head. Only 76 miles on it and the New England winters rusted it all to [censored]. They're OEM plugs btw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back