SiriusXm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a notice that they are raising liscensing fees by a couple %. Thinking seriously about canceling. They run the same tapes every day on every channel. Go on a long drive or short trip and listen to the same stations at the same time each day and you will hear the same songs over and over. I listen to several different channels and it's all the same. If they changed the tapes every couple of months I would not mind. Pandora is the same.
Anybody know of any alternatives?

We do a massive amount of traveling for sports. For us, it's worth the 30 some-odd dollars for six months to not hunt down local channels during a trip.

Yes, the songs do get repetitive, however we try different channels we usually do not frequent.

I like the live station, being able to choose favorite songs/artists, and I've developed an addiction to the dumbest channel of all.....Yaghtrock! Lol!

I've got 2 more years left in my subscription on the 2018 Jeep. I'm putting a new Pioneer head unit in my 08 Jeep and it will have 3 free months. I'll probably go ahead and subscribe longer and then evaluate it in about a year.

I do like it off-roading. When out in the middle of the mountains in Colorado or in Utah, it is nice not to worry about finding stations I like.

Last edited:
I canceled mine. I only listen to one AM station and two FM stations. When I'm traveling afar I'm in a rental anyways...

Edit: It would be better if it had more ADULT content and genre variety. It's stupid saying "OMG HOWARD STERN" he is a has been, like a Rush Limbaugh. Over-hyped and not cool today.

Last edited:
I was one of the earlier adopters of XM radio back in the day; they used to have the competitor Sirius radio; somewhere along the line they had merged; I've remember the sound and reception that was not so great; We got our CRV in 2016 with that promotion for 3 months; after that expired, we've never looked back;

Fast forward today, we stream music via cell phone, for example Tune-In app; so along with youtube now we have everything when comes down to our listening needs while on the road!

All you have to do is call and suggest you are wanting to cancel your service. Instantly, without haggling the pleasant representative will offer you a MUCH better price. Getting the package without the Howard Stern garbage saves a lot.

I always call before my subscription auto-renews every year. I forgot to call this year and was charged $277 auto-renewal. I figured it was a lesson learned but I gave them a call anyway. In less than 5 minutes I was authorizing them to refund $159...

I highly recommend the stand alone units (with car kit) I have 10 presets on mine and each station records an hour so I can go to any of my 10 stations and go back an hour, skipping songs, commercials, whatever. Like a DVR. Can also pause, rewind, and fast forward.

I cancelled. A few months later they offered the basic package for around $8/mo, with prices dropping still more for longer terms I prepaid 5 years for $60/yr.

I've had it for about 2 years. It's not great. Sound quality is poor, mix of music on stations is not good, tons of stations that I Never listen to. I hate when they mix the stations up and ruin my presets. It's worth $5 a month maybe just for the remote backcountry reception. Not at all worth the asking price.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Got a notice that they are raising liscensing fees by a couple %. Thinking seriously about canceling. ….
Got the same notice, and at some point before a renewal I've previously gotten one. When renewal time has rolled around, followed my standard procedure. Call to cancel, then tell them I'll take the same price as before or I'm gone. So each time since they've adjusted the fees to give the same price. When I first got XM radio (before joint Sirius) years ago, I paid ~$5 all in (fees&tax) a month, now ~$6 all in for select on a 6 month subscription.

So ime unless you just want to on principle, I wouldn't let the notice make you cancel early. When it comes time for renewal, they won't meet your price point, then tell them Buh Bye. I suspect that even if the latter happens, they'll snail mail an 'equivalent to what you have' offer later. My .02

We love ours and don't have the issue you mention about the same songs at the same time of day. I cancelled the service recently to save a couple bucks but didn't make it longer than a month before calling back and reactivating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back