Do NOT buy Ultra Power O2 sensors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a similar thread recently about garbage Ultra Power parts from RockAuto, and I had to chime in as well. Bought a downstream O2 sensor for my van, Ultra Power brand, since it was the cheapest by far and the sensor is very easy to replace. Went bad in less than one month. Got another one under warranty, failed in less than two months. Got my money back and bought a Denso part (came in OEM Hyundai box) for about $20 more. Lesson learned. I've come to realize that most all aftermarket parts, sans the good ones that improve OEM flaws and/or are an upgrade, simply aren't worth messing with if you plan to keep the vehicle. I just had to buy new motor mounts, and with enough research, I found all four of them, OEM, for not much more than aftermarket. ::steps off soap box::

Bought one on my wife's old Cavalier and immediately lost about 5 mpg. OEM brought it back to where it should be.

Thanks for the heads up. Good info the know. I usually buy for ours and customer's vehicles Denso, Bosch or NTK.

That was my story you saw! Nice to see I wasn't the only one that had a problem.

Their cheapy suspension parts are no worse than the white-box auto store stuff. However I'll never risk another sensor or electronic component from them. I'm almost convinced that their lots of sensors are mostly defective returns that they re-box and ship.

The reason why you see Ultra power on rockauto's website is because rockauto is in a dispute with Dorman (as per their newsletter a few months back, because Dorman was making them charge a price floor on their products) so they brought in a cheap alternative to Dorman

Ultra-power parts are extremely hit or miss. I've had some contain relabeled genuine OEM parts, but most often it's cheap Chinese stuff, which is more or less than same as Autozone's Duralast parts and other auto parts store's house brands.

I bought an Ultra-Power knock sensor for my Maxima and it was relabeled OEM and saved me a bunch of money. OTOH, I've bought a couple UP tie rod ends which only lasted 15k. Throw the dice and hope for the best!

Believe it or not, many of the brands that used to be synonymous with quality are cheap Chinese stuff nowadays, not just UltraPower.

Yup. Always need OEM for O2 sensors.

I bought Denso sensors for my Jeep last year and it ran bad and set a CEL. Old sensors were fine I was replacing for maintenance. Ordered the OEM NTK sensors and all is well.

Nothing wrong with Bosch. I ran a Denso years ago and it failed after just a few years. Running Bosch replacements now and so far so good. Denso was fine until it started throwing codes. Use OEM if your worried about aftermarket.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Chris142
Stay away from the bosch ones the auto parts stores sell too.

Why avoid the Bosch? Proof?

Zero to 1 VDC switching is calibrated differently in Germany, WAY to complicated/over engineered for Domestic & Asian vehicles!! Come on Trav, We're supposed to be professionals....

In all seriousness.....I have NEVER had an issue with Robert Bosch products besides working on Chrysler systems with weird line voltages.

Ultra Power is Rockauto's house brand. They're usually closeout parts scored from bankrupcies and liquidations, origin of part could be anywhere. Some of the closeout O2 sensors are intentionally whacked, even wires cut. Gambled with a few super cheap closeout units, low risk.. got a few dead ones one with a wire severed right at the base so it couldn't be repaired

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Zero to 1 VDC switching is calibrated differently in Germany, WAY to complicated/over engineered for Domestic & Asian vehicles!! Come on Trav, We're supposed to be professionals....

In all seriousness.....I have NEVER had an issue with Robert Bosch products besides working on Chrysler systems with weird line voltages.

It seems you and I are the only ones getting the one good part out of every box. Bosch has always done good by me, never a problem.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

It seems you and I are the only ones getting the one good part out of every box. Bosch has always done good by me, never a problem.

Agreed Bosch is good. Not only are they good they're the OEM for certain car brands (Nissan used to use Bosch O2 sensors at one point, might still do).

Also Bosch invented the O2 sensor so I would assume they know what they're doing.

It's a good idea to not mess around with critical engine control components like this, go straight with OE or OEM. If Denso came off, Denso goes back on. If NTK came off, NTK goes back on.

Bosch is all i use, no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back