Have you ever used a motor oil additive? Which one(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.
STP a long time ago
A teflon based one a long time ago
Engine Restore
Gunk Motor Flush
Risilone
Bars Leak engine seal repair products

Last edited:
I used some and now wish I hadn't...I don't think they ended up doing any harm, but I also think I spent money for nothing.
Cerma
Liqui Moly MoS2
Rislone ZDDP

Added a pint off MMO to thin 20w50 for 2 winters . Worked fine
grin2.gif

I sure did. STP oil treatment about 35 years ago.
It was kind of like pouring really thick honey out of a bottle.
I would not even think of using an additive now because oils are really good these days

Liqui-Moly Oil Saver to stop a front cover leak on a 3.0 Duratec. Worked very well; fixing the leak "properly" would have been an expensive proposition.

Yes. Off the top of my head spanning over 4 decades: MMO, Kreen, STP decades ago, Biotech EP, #132, MoS2 briefly, and Hyper Lube Zinc Replacement.

Yeppers... used "Prolong Engine Treatment" in a 1990 Mitsubishi Mirage . Car went over 300k miles. But i don't think it was due to the Prolong used.

Yep,first one was stp oil treatment back in the late 70's I had a 68 impala burnt about a quart of oil a week (my first car). The stp as I remember did cut it down by about half and less blue smoke too .
smile.gif

Over the years iv'e tried mmo, rislone, and maybe a few others for sticky lifters all seemed to have helped some.

Molykote molybdenum engine oil additive. It quiets down the valve clatter on my '95 Miata. Don't know or care about any other claims or reduced wear, etc.

In my Sable, I used MMO once or twice, replacing 1 quart of oil, for a 3k-4k mile OCI. Seemed to help clean things up a bit.

I've run a few light doses of LiquiMoly MOS2 in my Fusion. Light dose meaning 1/3 of a bottle added to oil, instead of a full bottle.
I also ran one OCI with a bottle of Lubegard BioTech in my Fusion.

In the past, I ran all sorts.. can't really say if they helped or hurt, but I wouldn't use them again unless there was some definite benefit.

I've tried just about everything out there and nothing seems to make a difference for the cost plus now that I know it can upset an oils performance I don't do it any longer.

I also remember using a quart of some liquid that was gray in color. I think it was graffite based. Not sure what it was called.

Last edited:
Yes...
Marvel Mystery Oil (still use, but rarely)
TufOil (don't use in the engine anymore but it's good for open gearboxes and general lubrication)
Slick 50 (about 30 years ago)
that's it

I have learned this: in a clean and healthy engine, driven normally, using quality oil of the correct viscosity... no oil additives are needed. Period.

Last edited:
One I got the MSDS statement on indicating it had anti-ageing chemicals & anti-wear/friction ONLY.
Knowing what is in it helps understand what it can do.
Also, its important to only add it half-way or 3/4-way through an oil change interval as the original chemicals break down.
Berryman Engine Oil Extender:

Petroleum Oil... 64742-65-0... 45-55% (Group II neutral oil)
Polybutylene Succinimide confidential... 9-12% (VII and dispersant)
Dialkylated Diphenylamine... 68411-46-1... 6-10% (Antioxidant)
Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate proprietary... 2-5% (ZDDP - Anti-Wear)
Organomolybdenum Complex proprietary... 1-2% )(MoDTC, friction Modifier)

Originally Posted by ZZman
I also remember using a quart of some liquid that was gray in color. I think it was graffite based. Not sure what it was called.

That stuff is called Krex. We used it with every oil change at a chevy dealer I worked at years ago. It had some deal that if you used that product you automatically got some kind of tire warranty that would last for a certain amount of time.

Yes

STP
Pro-Ma - a micronized lead/tin/copper that did really well on the one armed bandit.
PMT - a Teflon based lube in the '80s (NASA on the logo) it certainly DID increase compression and lower oil consumption.
Nulon E10 - a Teflon based lube, added to a ford 250 ci six with a gazillion miles on it. halved consumption
Slick 50 - did nothing, while the other two did something
Lucas - because it has no additives, I used it in turbine maintenance
Morey's (Lucas with antimony additives).
Lanolin (while I was waiting for my autoRX)
Auto-Rx - did nothing
Ethyl ester of rapeseed oil (I made that myself from scratch, about a gallon - a bit similar to a Scheaffer product give or take) it did some cleaning, but I got scared of the potential seal issues)
Rislone
Canola oil (cheapest additive I've used - nothing blew up which clearly vouches for it's superiority)

Early on, diesel, to help desludge engines...again nothing blew up, but I couldn't dismantle enough stuff to get the gallon of black goo out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back